WIKIDEMIA: Looks like Wikipedia is taking a page from the book of its august progenitor, Encyclopedia Brittanica, with the Wikipedia Education Program. Fast Company describes the initiative here as a way to "conquer academia." It is being piloted in nine countries. Professors are getting invitations to contribute pieces and let their students fact-check, revise and cite them for credit. (Not to mention, this will also boost the amount of foreign-language content.) In March, Brittanica said it would quit printing books on paper; digital has been profitable since 2003. The killer fact: 85% of Brittanica's revenue comes from selling learning and instructional materials, leaving the classic encyclopedia business to chip in the other 15%. Although a nonprofit, Wikipedia could use that kind of income stream. And perhaps professors won't give you "the eye" when you cite Wiki sources for their papers.

Stay up to date on edtech. News, research, and opportunities - sent weekly, for free.

Who we are

EdSurge helps schools and colleges find, select and use the right technology to support all learners.
© 2011-2017 EdSurge Inc. All rights reserved. Every student succeeds.