ALL IN THE FAMILY: Teach for America (TFA) has inducted five new companies into its fifth group of "social innovators," organizations the nonprofit believes "address education inequity in unique ways." TFA will fund the fledgling nonprofits, all founded by TFA alumni or corps members, to the tune of $100,000 and provide them with professional coaching. The five winners were selected from a group of 15 finalists, which were culled from a applicant pool of 149 organizations.
The five companies:
- COOP—connects college graduates from underrepresented populations to careers in tech, media or design
- Story Shares—space for students who read below grade level to come for extra practice
- Literator—collects and analyses data on student reading for teachers
- Building Opportunities, Open Minds (BOOM)—aims to reconnect black Americans of African descent to their heritage
- Elevating Equity—anti-racism training for educators through conversations