VP, Sales and Marketing
Swing Education - San Mateo, CA - Full time
We’ve done a great job of growing organically, and now we’re looking for our first VP of Sales and Marketing to take our growth to the next level. You’ll work closely with our other marketplace growth teams to shape our next trajectory.
This position reports directly to our COO. An ideal candidate is proactive, loves to experiment with different ideas, moves quickly, can read and adapt their communication style to different audiences, thinks on their feet, is excited by the sales process, and has proven success closing deals. You must be flexible to work in a fast-paced, highly interactive and innovative environment.
Here’s a sample of what your responsibilities will look like:
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Learn Swing the product inside and out and be comfortable demoing the entire product to any audience
- Learn the substitute teacher space, all the players involved, and the Swing differentiators
- Meet with Swing customers and power users to understand how/why they use Swing
- Jump into a few sales cycles and even close a handful of deals
- Generate a marketing game plan and start running your first experiments
- Work with Chief Growth Officer to define sales goals and metrics for the next 2 quarters
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Own sales cycles for all types of customers - independent, charters and public schools
- Close deals that expand current market presence and in new regions
- Partner with sub recruiting team to define requirements and needs to support sales goals
- Generate experiments and ideas related to pricing strategy
- Work with our School Partnerships team to define and implement a clean hand-off post sales
- Iterate on our marketing strategy, including current channels, plans, metrics
- Stand up tooling in support of both sales and marketing, including what data you’re using to measure success
- Define what the sales and marketing team looks like, including refining the vision/mission, goals and hiring plan
- Explore strategic partnerships/alliances in support of our sales goals
- Collect and document product feedback from schools, and participate in product development conversations
- Make your first hire
Within 6 - 12 months, you’ll:
- Work with School Partnerships teams on pilots of adjacent offering strategies
- Cultivate a team of sales managers that is consistently closing deals
- Focus on scale
- Demonstrate reasonable accuracy with forecasting (and/or revise and revisit what needs to change)
- Continue to iterate on everything listed above - and come up with new and creative ways to expand our growth!
- 5+ years of sales experience, enterprise or SMB sales preferred, education sales ideal
- Experience with channel marketing, campaign management, acquisition marketing, product marketing, field marketing or developer marketing
- Proactive, entrepreneurial style, eager to take initiative in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationships and collaborate with teammates
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in working with diverse groups and teams
Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
3 or more years
On average, U.S. students are with substitute teachers for 5% of the typical school year. That means our students have substitute teachers for more than six months of their K-12 school career. The problem? We're suffering from a national shortage of substitute teachers.
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage. We make it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.) and we help subs find jobs, gain experience and build their professional network.
Swing is a revenue generating, Series A, YC company (through ImagineK12)