Technical Project Manager
New Classrooms - New York, NY - Full time
About the Role
This role is responsible for coordinating new software development and existing product maintenance by working collaboratively with team members across our entire program team. You will report into the Technology Division which includes software development, infrastructure, and internal/field IT. Working as the scrum master, you will harness contributions from Requirements Analysts, Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts and external resources to ensure the right tasks are lined up, and executed effectively. Your goal will be to achieve quality completion within the sprint timeline to achieve on-time, on-budget, and high-quality completion of sprints.
If you like to make sure things get done effectively/efficiently and you can juggle a number of balls (and stakeholders) at the same time; we need to meet you. Your background (preferably technical) in software development will help you understand the work and give you the knowledge of when to push back or push forward. This role is critical to help the organization achieve its ambitious goals and to fully leverage the capacity of the Technology team in particular. The technical project manager will be able to see their impact on a daily basis and have the chance to work with a hard-working, fun team on the front lines of reinventing the classroom.
What You Would Do
- -Partner with the software project planning team to understand their goals for each sprint and prioritization between sprint items. Also report back progress and items that are at risk of not completing on time to aid in subsequent planning.
- -Facilitate the collection of value/cost information for product and technical maintenance work in order to participate in the planning of upcoming sprints
- -Coordinate technical and operational aspects of releasing new code into Production environments
- -Facilitate sprint kick-off meetings, daily stand-ups, and retrospectives, in order to maximize effectiveness of the team. Help sprint members establish appropriate sub-tasks as needed
- -Manage day-to-day activities of the sprints including tracking that both urgent and non-urgent fixes/improvements are being executed
- -Ensure clear communication about active software development progress both within -Product and Technology teams as well as out to other stakeholders
- -Monitor and support coordination of unplanned urgent product and technical fixes
- -Coordinate across teams to resolve issues and blocks in order to maintain high resource efficiency
- -Identify risks and apply appropriate mitigations
- -Establish tactical mechanisms to continuously improve efficiency of software development activities
What We Are Looking For:
- -Bachelor ’s degree or equivalent experience
- -3+ years of software development experience
- -2+ years of project management / scrum master experience
- -Natural tendency toward innovative and creative problem solving
- -Comfort working in a highly collaborative start-up/entrepreneurial work environment
- -Strong attention to detail
- -Software engineering tech savvy such that the challenges of team members can be understood and troubleshot effectively
- -Knowledge of and comfort with multiple project management methodologies (waterfall, agile, lean, scrum, kanban, etc.) and ability to adapt them to the realities of different work streams
- -Ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and work items while simultaneously participating in new work definition (next sprint planning)
- -Understanding of the role that software can play in overall organizational value
- -Experience with Atlassian tools (JIRA, Service Desk, Portfolio) is a plus
Commensurate with experience
Please submit both your cover letter and resume online.
Job descriptions provide an overview of the position, but are not designed to dictate responsibilities. Every member of the New Classrooms team is prepared to carry out any task regardless of title or department in order to fulfill the organization's mission.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
3 to 5 years
About New Classrooms
New Classrooms is a nonprofit organization that leverages classroom design, teacher talent, and technology to enable personalized learning for more than 13,000 students in 40 pioneering schools in 10 states and Washington D.C. this fall. New Classrooms' first-of-its-kind technology draws from tens of thousands of high quality lessons to create a customized and dynamic curriculum for each student each day. Our flagship instructional model, Teach to One, integrates large group, small group, and individual instruction in ways that enable students to not just learn skills but apply them in real world contexts.
Teach to One grew out of a New York City pilot program called School of One, which TIME magazine named one of the best inventions of 2009. Visitwww.newclassrooms.org to learn more about our efforts to unleash a wave of innovation in K-12 education that will dramatically improve outcomes for all students.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization. Our team includes a dynamic mix of education policy experts, passionate academics, technology junkies, and business entrepreneurs. We all share a strong belief in every child and a deep-seated interest in improving our schools, solving problems in innovative ways, and getting things done in a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment.