Impact Investment and Program Associate
The Michelson 20MM Foundation - Los Angeles, CA - Full time
Reporting to the President and Director of Strategic Initiatives, the Impact Investment and Program Associatewill have substantial responsibility on a small and entrepreneurial team that leads the impact investing activity for the Michelson 20MM Foundation. This is an exciting position for an individual that wants to build an impact investing career and hasa deep personal commitment and demonstrated experience working with investments that have the purpose of meeting both social and financial objectives. The ideal candidate is passionately driven by early stage investing in social enterprises with the goal of creating solutions that impact underserved populations.
● Identify and develop new investment opportunities.
● Assist with prospective investments, including analysis of eligible investment proposals, undertaking detailed due diligence, applying rigorous analytical techniques, and stress testing business plans to assess investment opportunities, from both a social impact and financial returns standpoint
● Prepare investment memos that include recommendations for Michelson 20MM’s Investment Committee.
● Help to negotiate legal documentation and close transactions.
● Work closely with social investors to help them evidence their social impact- including performance monitoring plans that prioritize Michelson 20MM’s outcomes goals.
● Monitor, evaluate, and manage the financial and social impact performance of investments on an on-going basis.
● Raise awareness of social investment efforts to external stakeholders; including presenting at conferences, speaking to investors, etc.
● Build expertise on social issues related to the higher education and career training, including pipeline issues.
● Design and scale specific social investment products, e.g. alternative student finance vehicles, such as income share agreements.
Competenties & Skills:
● An aptitude for analytics, including great problem-solving abilities
● Familiarity with the fast-growing field of impact investing
● Self-starter with ability to work independently as a team partner
● A passion for and demonstrable commitment to social impact
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Bachelor’s degree
● Strong record of initiative.
● Proven ability to independently analyze investment strategies and document perceived strengths and weaknesses from an investment and operational perspective.
● Bridge builder between experts in social impact and experts in portfolio management that can effectively integrate these converging disciplines into client discussions and portfolios.
● Working knowledge of, and extensive relationships within the fields of social impact and related sectors, which include social entrepreneurship, impact investing, micro-finance, corporate social responsibility, education reform, public-private partnerships, non-profit management and philanthropy.
● Demonstrated high energy and persistence in the pursuit of objectives – known for a resourceful, entrepreneurial approach to problem solving, a "closer"
Start Date: March/ April 2017Compensation: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. The position will be located in Los Angeles, California.
1 or more years
About the Michelson 20MM Foundation
Founded by Dr. Gary K. Michelson, prolific inventor and philanthropist, the Michelson 20MM Foundation supports and invests in leading edge entrepreneurs, technologies, models, and initiatives with the potential to improve postsecondary access, affordability, and efficacy. Our PRI work looks at seed stage ventures addressing problems in higher education, workforce development, and vocational education markets.