Founding Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Forte Prep Academy - NY - Full time
Forte Prep is a 5th through 8th grade college preparatory, tuition-free public charter school for Queens, New York, with a focus on serving the Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst and Corona communities. We are working to open in fall 2017 with 90 fifth graders, adding one grade per year until eighth grade.
Our mission is: Through rigorous academics, quality instruction, and a positive culture of individual and collective responsibility, Forte Preparatory Academy Charter School equips all students in grades 5 through 8 to excel in college preparatory high schools and use their leadership and voice to change the world.
Our commitments are as follows:
We are committed to preparation for high school, college and beyond. Literacy and math are at the heart of a world-class education, open doors to college and lives of opportunity, and therefore underpin everything that we do.
We are committed to unlocking potential in every student. We focus on creative and digital enrichment, remediation, and individualization based on data.
We are committed to excellent teaching and learning. High-quality teachers are critical to creating and sustaining a culture of excellence and building academic success for every student, in every class, every day.
We are committed to diversity. Located in the most diverse borough (Queens) in its most diverse neighborhoods (East Elmhurst/Jackson Heights/North Corona), Forte Prep seeks to reflect and honor the diversity of our community within the walls of our school.
This is where you come in. Forte Prep is looking for a founding Director of Curriculum and Instruction who, alongside our Executive Director, will build the academic framework and select the academic team that will change the game for students in Queens. Founding a school is hard work, and we are seeking a collaborative, creative, and resilient team member to help bring Forte Prep's vision into reality. You will know you have been successful in your role based on the following outcomes:
Planning year:Write and revise unit plans for ELA, Math, Social Studies, and Science curricula by Spring 2017.
- Write end-of-year assessments based on best practices by Spring 2017.
- Interview and support selection process of 8 teachers and 2-3 support staff by Spring 2017.
- Write clear and succinct mission and vision statements for each academic subject.
- Design an integrated approach to performing arts that will augment our college preparatory curriculum.
- Outperform students in our district (charter and district) on state ELA and Math.
- Develop teaching staff through robust professional development and active coaching, and retain a high percentage of teaching staff year over year.
To be excellent in this role, you will have to have the following values, characteristics and qualifications:
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of Forte Prep
- Experienced in education, strategic planning, and staff development
- Motivational and energetic leader who is committed to excellence
- Solutions-oriented strategic thinker who has overcome complex organizational challenges
- Unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenges
- Results-driven educational leader with a commitment to standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
- Teaching experience with marked success and quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass state averages
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of teachers
- Analytical problem-solver and solutions-oriented strategic thinker who overcomes difficult organizational challenges
- Exceptional public speaker, writer and editor, especially of lesson plans, unit plans, and other curricular materials
- Strong knowledge of curriculum for fifth through eighth grade students
- Energy and entrepreneurial spirit for a start-up charter school
- Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate, and lead by example
- Three to five years of urban teaching and educational leadership experience is preferred
- NY teaching certification preferred
- Masters level or advanced degree preferred
- Highly Qualified as defined by No Child Left Behind
- Note: after Year 3, a second subject-specific DCI will be brought on the team to split responsibilities between Humanities and STEM
Forte Prep offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package through Little Bird. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as an organization serving a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Forte Preparatory Academy Charter Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
3 or more years
Forte Prep is a 5th through 8th grade college preparatory, tuition-free public charter school for Queens, New York, with a focus on serving the Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst and Corona communities.