Elementary Grades Teacher
Khan Academy - Mountain View, CA - Full time
Khan Academy is looking for a teacher to join a small team in a new learning lab. We’re looking for a teacher who is a collaborator with and guide for students as well as a maker, builder and creator. As a good candidate, you will have a great portfolio of project based learning and applied learning lessons that you have developed.
You will be leading a small cohort of mixed aged elementary students. Our teachers provide small group or one-on-one instruction for a self paced, mastery-based curriculum, and co-create applied learning experiences for our students. We value and honor the genius of each student and give children the freedom to make mistakes, fail, reiterate, and find satisfaction in the quest for learning itself.
We are a small learning lab designed around simple elegance and flexibility to customize the learning experience for each student. As such, we need teachers who can create predictable structure for younger students without depriving them of their freedom and creativity. With a small staff of 5-7, each individual is a crucial fraction of the culture and definition of the learning lab. We are looking for passionate educators who want to help us define this program and share our best practices with the world.
- Experience creating educational projects and applied learning experiences. We aren’t set on requiring licensed certified teachers, but we do expect some significant experience in project based learning.
- An expertise in some significant area of the academic content.
- Punctual and Reliable.
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the learning lab is subject to change.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with or a desire to teach in a setting that values giving up control and allowing students to make mistakes and gain maturity and self motivation through independence.
- Experience working with elementary age kids ages five to eleven - preferably with in the 6-8 year olds who are full of energy, emerging independence, competency and dexterity.
*We are especially interested in candidates with content specialization in the humanities, but this is not a requirement
Work Hours and Dates
Our work day runs from 8:30am-4:30pm year round. You will have some flexibility in your schedule to plan and take breaks, but you must be available for these hours during week days. We take week long planning breaks after each 6- 8 week term, and flexible vacation days are encouraged.
HOW TO APPLYAlong with your resume please provide: A) Your portfolio of projects that you've worked on and helped to succeed B) A cover letter including a brief explanation of why you'd like to join the learning lab C) If you are authorized to work in the United States
Any experience level