Senior Manager of Communications, Impact Team
Charter School Growth Fund - Remote - Full time
Position: Senior Manager of Communications, Impact Team
Help the world learn from high-performing charter schools and how they are changing lives and transforming communities. The Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF, www.chartergrowthfund.org) is a nonprofit that supports the growth of the nation’s best public charter schools. Our “portfolio” of charter school networks serves over 300,000 students across 60+ nonprofits that operate 700+ schools. We uncover the most promising public charter schools in the country, regardless of where they are located, and help them serve more families.
In 2015, CSGF launched the Impact Team (http://chartergrowthfund.org/resources/) to help the charter school networks in our portfolio build new capacity and solve longstanding challenges in public education. Led by Alex Hernandez (http://chartergrowthfund.org/people/alex-hernandez/), the team will invest $15 million over 5 years in solutions that accelerate the entire sector, as well as provide direct services to portfolio members to help them grow with quality.
CSGF is seeking a Senior Manager of Communications to join our dynamic and growing team. The Senior Manager of Communications will be the Impact Team’s chief storyteller, helping portfolio members, external partners and school districts learn from the successful practices of the high-performing charter schools we support. The Senior Manager will lead the Impact Team’s knowledge management, social networking, and content distribution strategies. This person will also manage special projects related to advocacy, research and other strategic initiatives. Our ideal candidate is a prolific writer and storyteller, creative in his or her use of communication platforms, has deep context in K12 and the communities we serve, can work effectively with internal and external stakeholders, and can successfully manage projects in an entrepreneurial environment.
Below is a general outline of responsibilities. CSGF is a fast-moving organization and roles and responsibilities may change to meet the needs of the organization and the groups we support.
- Create feature stories using a variety of media to capture the innovations and best practices of high-performing charter schools such that others charter schools and school districts can benefit.
- Lead the Impact Team’s knowledge management and content distribution strategy.
- Leverage existing social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Slack, Yammer, etc.) to cultivate communities of portfolio members to share best practices and crowd source solutions in real time.
- Create systems for measuring the reach and impact of CSGF’s knowledge sharing activities.
- Manage special projects related to advocacy, research, communications and other key strategic initiatives.
- Support portfolio members in the areas of communication, knowledge management and content distribution.
- Collaborate with the external relations team to maintain a coordinated strategy on CSGF’s brand identity and external positioning.
Skills and Characteristics
- Deep commitment to CSGF’s mission
- Prolific writing and storytelling
- Proficiency with content distribution and social media platforms
- Ability to build strong relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Strong project management experience
- Ability to work seamlessly between high-level strategy and detail-oriented work
- Willingness to travel extensively (approximately 50%)
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Our ideal candidate has 5-7 years’ experience as a writer, journalist or blogger
- Our ideal candidate has a deep understanding of K12 and the communities we serve
WORKING AT CSGF
We are focused on hiring and developing great people, giving them plenty of freedom and autonomy, and maintaining high expectations to help team members grow personally and professionally. Our core values are:
- Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
- Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. We rely on you to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
- Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
- Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success is dependent upon the achievements of our partners. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
- Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. We hope having fun at work is important to you and you enjoy being a team player.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. CSGF offers a very competitive compensation package and this position is eligible for a performance bonus.
If interested, please send the following to: email@example.com
- Links to stories and/or articles you have authored and published
- Briefly respond to the following: Please review the following virtual school tour (http://virtualtour.successacademies.org/elementaryschool/). How would you assess the effectiveness of this approach to sharing best practices? How would you improve on this approach?
3 to 10 years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.