Director of Advocacy and Engagement - Washington
Summit Public Schools - Seattle, WA - Full time
The Director of Advocacy & Engagement for Summit Washington is a new position in the organization that is critical given WA's nascent charter sector. This person will be the face of Summit Public Schools in Washington State, advocating on behalf of the organization and the charter movement in general. This is an opportunity to work directly with families, educators, policy makers, board members, media, foundations and many others to further the charter movement in the state.
The position will report to the Senior Director of Community Engagement on the Schools Team, and will also work closely with the Senior Director of Schools in Washington.
This position calls for a passionate leader with experience in communications, policy and development. This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their vision, advocacy, and partnership skills to their passion for serving the education ecosystem in Washington State. We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Summary of Responsibilities:
TheDirector of Advocacy & Engagement will envision, strategize and execute the following major work streams:
- Media/PR/communications in WA
- Partner with an external communications firm and Summit's Director of Communications on both external media relations/PR and internal parent communications.
- Coordinate communications and strategy across Summit Public Schools to ensure alignment in messaging.
- Lead parent/student/faculty ambassador group and train media spokespeople, as needed.
- Develop parent/student talking points around local issues, as needed.
- Lead and execute Public Records Requests from WA, as needed.
- WA Policy
- Partner with the Senior Director of Community Engagement, local elected officials and WA Charters to support sector goals before, during and after each legislative session.
- Provide regular updates on goals and strategy to Chief of Schools for distribution to the Board of Directors and key stakeholders.
- Local fundraising
- Develop a strong relationship with the local funding community and lead on all correspondence.
- Secure local, national and federal funds to meet/exceed fundraising goals.
- Partner with the Manager of Development to complete all grant applications and reports.
- Authorizer relationships
- Serve as main point of contact for the Commission and provide them with regular updates on Summit's work.
- Partner with Manager of Government Affairs to ensure we meet the Commission's compliance expectations, including pre-opening conditions, reopening conditions, annual site visits, board observations, annual reporting requirements, and professional development requirements.
- External partnerships
- Serve as main point of contact for WA Charters by serving as an active, influential leader on the Membership Council and disseminating information to the team, as needed, including updates on legislative strategy, operations, professional development opportunities, etc.
- Develop and execute a WA tour strategy.
- Serve as main point of contact for organizing and facilitating all tours with external partners, including current/prospective funders, elected officials, commissioners, Basecamp prospects, etc.
- Serve as main point of contact with pipeline providers, including TFA, Seattle University and the University of Washington - Seattle and Tacoma.
- Cultivate relationships with Community Based Organizations and leaders in Seattle and Tacoma.
- Actively seek opportunities for the team to present at conferences/gatherings to continue developing the Summit brand in WA.
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep knowledge and passion for the needs of public schools and their students
- Ability to swiftly move between vision, strategy and execution
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders without positional authority
- Ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, district leaders, thought leaders and connectors in the K-12
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Strong analytic skills, specifically the ability to synthesize complex information into concrete recommendations and think strategically
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Detail oriented
- BA or BS Degree or international equivalent
- 4-6 years working in education or other relevant experience
- Demonstrated understanding of the Washington State public education landscape
- Proficient in Google docs, spreadsheets and slides
- Pass the reference and background/criminal checks, per education code.
- Readiness to travel between California and Washington as needed.
6 or more years
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Through the Summit Basecamp Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit's mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools a top 10 most innovative organization in education
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world.
- Our founding students at both Washington schools more than doubled the national average for growth in math, and outperformed the national average by 20 percent or more in reading, according to the nationally normed Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) assessment.