Senior DevOps, Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Schoology - New York, NY - Full time
What we expect + our technology stack / environment:
Our Linux-based infrastructure is comprised of several hundred servers (mostly CentOS) running in AWS. It has nearly doubled in size each of the last few years. Given our explosive user growth and adoption, we expect it to nearly double again this year. We want you to help us scale this infrastructure, which supports our award-winning application, Schoology, to support this growth. We are also in the midst of completing a migration to Amazon Web Services, so you may have the opportunity to help us with this transition. In order to meet the demands of this expansion and migration, we're using Chef to automate the provisioning of our servers.
Our software engineers are using a whole host of tools, including Bamboo for continuous integration (CI) and Git for version control and source code management. As a DevOps Engineer, we expect you to partner with our software engineer team to manage and administer various technologies (Bamboo, Git), in addition to all the other pieces of our technology stack (Apache, PHP, Memcache, MySQL, Nginx, MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra, Redshift, Kinesis).
- Be a DevOps / site reliability engineer (SRE) for our Linux-based development, staging and production servers.
- Support and manage our database, networking, firewall and system level security systems.
- Optimize and troubleshoot performance issues for our databases, which include MySQL, Redis,MongoDB and Cassandra.
The ideal candidate will:
- Provide application development support and troubleshooting for our web application by using a DevOps mindset.
- Be comfortable and experienced with operational support in a production environment. Sense of urgency, priority and organizational skills are keys to success. You are going to be a reliablesite reliability engineer (SRE) after all!
- Have experience with automation, be comfortable with scripting (bash, python or ruby) and building tooling to automate administrative tasks.
- Have experience with configuration management and git. Chef is preferable but any other exposure with other popular tools like puppet and ansible will work, too.
- Be familiar with Amazon Web Services (AWS) beyond EC2 with such technologies as:CloudFormation templates, autoscaling, AWS networking, etc.
- Have a good grasp of linux system internals including but not limited to basic kernel tuning (i.e. swappiness, file handles, etc), virtual memory, LVM, file system internals, strace, hard vs soft links, paging vs swapping, etc.
- Have a good understanding of networking, firewalls, load balancers and network troubleshooting. Routing, subnets, ping, traceroute, tcpdump and debugging network services should all be in your wheelhouse.
- Have basic SQL and MySQL database administration skills.
- Have an interest in helping build a more DevOps centric culture.
- Have strong interpersonal and professional workplace communication skills.
Bonus points for:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Being a RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) / having a Red Hat Certification.
- Recent experience supporting a SaaS platform, trading desk or an online broker.
- A self-starter who thrives in a fluid, fast-paced, evolving environment.
At Schoology, we are continuously advancing what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.
6 or more years
Schoology is one of the fastest growing education technology companies, with more than 17 million users across the world. We are giving educators all the tools they need to more easily personalize education and improve student outcomes, but in a way that works easily with their current systems and teaching approach. We’ve evolved the traditional learning management system into an education cloud: a platform that connects the people, content, and systems that fuel education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.