Software Engineer- Security
Clever - San Francisco, CA - Full time
The story of educational technology is one of unfulfilled promise. There are many great educational software products on the market, but it’s tough for developers to get them working in schools, and even tougher for schools to manage and evaluate them. We’re trying to fix that with two main products: an API that allows developers to work with school data in a secure, structured way; and a single sign-on portal that allows students to access all their educational apps with one identity.
When we started four years ago, four schools used Clever. Today, Clever is used by half of all K-12 schools in America (over 60,000), making it the fastest-growing company in education. We're looking for talented engineers who want to help us build Clever into something every school, student, and teacher relies on.
A Day in the Life
As a security engineer at Clever, you'll be part of the small team that leads our efforts to secure our services and protect our customers, who fall into multiple groups: teachers, school administrators, students, and application developers. You’ll get your hands dirty with code, infrastructure, networks, and policy. We're looking for someone who groks security at multiple layers of the stack. You’ll have the following responsibilities:
- Build out infrastructure to protect and monitor Clever services.
- Design and develop security-sensitive code.
- Mentor teammates about secure coding practices and evangelize security in the company.
- Represent Clever in the security community to keep updated on vulnerabilities and threats.
- Contribute as part of the engineering team to build Clever products and services.
Things we’re looking for
- Deep analytical skills. A degree in computer science (or significant programming experience) is ideal.
- The ability to think adversarially and balance security risk against other objectives.
- A desire to grow as an engineer through collaboration, code reviews, and learning new languages/technologies.
- Strong communication abilities, with a particular focus on patience and empathy.
- Dedication to Clever's mission: making it easy to bring great software to the classroom.
- A desire to work in a diverse, highly collaborative team environment.
What Clever offers
- Tackle the challenges of securing a fast growing platform trusted by hundreds of partners and thousands of schools.
- An opportunity to guide the security architecture of a high-availability service using open source software and the cloud.
- Competitive salary and significant equity in well-funded, high-growth company.
- Catered lunch five days a week and dinner two days a week.
- Generous vacation and holidays.
- Top-notch healthcare, vision, & dental coverage.
- Unlimited Amazon.com credits for learning.
- An incredible team of fun, bright coworkers.
1 or more years
Founded in 2012 by educators and technologists who knew that widely available educational apps could improve both teaching and learning, but that tools to deploy and secure the applications were simply unavailable, Clever is the platform that powers technology in the classroom. Today, almost half of the K-12 schools in the U.S. trust Clever to secure their student data as they adopt learning apps in the classroom
In 2014, Clever won the ‘Crystal Clear’ award by the Digital Innovation Learning Awards. It is also the trusted provider of the American Federation of Teachers, who uses Clever to secure its own ‘Share my Lesson’ platform with its teacher members. Backed by Sequoia Capital, Lightspeed Partners, Peter Thiel’s Founders Fund, and GSV Capital, Clever currently has 100+ employees and is based in San Francisco, California.
Clever is backed by top-tier investors, so we’re lucky enough to have the financial freedom to build the company we’ve always wanted to work for. We go to work every day knowing we’re helping to improve education for millions of kids. It’s a cool job perk (way better than free meals, though we have those, too).