Chief Communications and Development Officer
Digital Promise - Washington, DC - Full time
About the Position
Digital Promise is seeking a driven, innovative leader to serve as its Chief Communications and Development Officer (CCDO). Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Communications and Development Officer (CCDO) will be a member of Digital Promise’s leadership team and will set and guide the strategy for Digital Promise's communications, development, and partnership activities. The CCDO will ensure Digital Promise is viewed as a thought leader in its field and will work closely with staff across the organization to clearly articulate Digital Promise’s work and impact. The CCDO will also drive revenue across foundation and corporate partners, and work closely with our Chief Learning Officer to develop and implement a strategy for increasing Digital Promise’s earned income through professional services.
The CCDO will join Digital Promise at a pivotal time. Over the last three years, the organization has experienced tremendous growth, more than doubling its revenue and tripling its staff, deeply engaging its networks and taking on compelling challenges towards improving learning opportunity. The CCDO will have the opportunity to help shape and strengthen both the external and the internal communications functions of the organization.
- The CCDO will lead, manage, and oversee the communications and development functions across Digital Promise, ensuring they are integrated and results-focused.
- Strengthen the Digital Promise brand, ensuring all communications are aligned with our brand and that our brand evolves with Digital Promise, our work, and the rapidly changing field in which we operate.
- Lead and manage the communications team to develop and implement sound and measurable communications goals, tactics, and campaigns.
- Work across the leadership team of Digital Promise to develop and implement a strategic development plan including an assessment of organizational needs and greatest fundraising opportunities.
- Work across the leadership team of Digital Promise to identify opportunities to broaden and deepen our philanthropic and corporate support.
- Cultivate relationships and partnerships, expanding and diversifying Digital Promise’s funders.
- Manage Digital Promise’s corporate partnership program and a portfolio of our current foundation relationships.
- Work closely with the CEO, COO, and CLO to develop a strategy for increasing our earned income.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree (or equivalent experience) in business, education, communications, marketing or a related field required.
- 15+ years of communications and development experience with at least three years in a leadership role.
- Experience in education required, and experience in education technology strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing an integrated communications and development function to advance an organization's mission and goals.
- Experience building long-term, value-added partnerships and relationships with a diverse array of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated fundraising and development success from foundations and corporations.
- Experience developing internal systems and processes for a results-oriented, highly efficient communications and development functions.
- Experience leading highly effective teams (including cross functional teams) – developing a work plan, setting goals, managing budgets, etc.
- Ability to think strategically, work collaboratively, and use a consultative approach to problem solving and decision-making.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage competing tasks, deadlines, requirements, and decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A passion for education, a team mentality, creativity, and a positive “can-do” “yes-and” spirit.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Please apply and submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements. Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible. Review will be on a rolling basis until the search is successful.
Digital Promise is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
11 or more years
Digital Promise is an independent, bipartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization authorized by Congress to spur innovation in education for all levels of learners. Positioned at the intersection of educators, entrepreneurs, and researchers, Digital Promise identifies, develops, and promotes strategies to improve all levels of education and provide Americans with the knowledge and skills needed to compete in the global economy. Digital Promise is a fast-paced, growing, entrepreneurial organization that values and rewards performance, collaboration, and innovation.