NewSchools Venture Fund - Oakland, CA - Full time
Nationally recognized venture philanthropy firm seeks an Associate Partner to support a new strategy focused on supporting the next generation of innovative schools in PK-12 education.
As a member of the seven-person Innovative Schools team, the Associate Partner will primarily support our NewSchools Invent program. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate Diligence Process for Prospective Ventures
- Conduct and lead project management for due diligence efforts on all teams applying for a school planning or launch investment through our NewSchools Invent program
- Synthesize findings from due diligence efforts through written analysis to enable the team to make an investment recommendation
- Manage the grant development and execution process
- Support the Design, Outreach, and Launch of NewSchools Invent
- Under direction of a Partner, support the design of the NewSchools Invent open application process
- Support the development and execution of communications, recruitment, and outreach strategies to create a robust, diverse, and high quality application pool
- Field questions from prospective applicants
- Data Collection, Performance Evaluation and Knowledge Sharing
- Co-design and oversee efforts to collect and analyze a range of data on all portfolio schools, including but not limited to venture satisfaction, student performance, demographic data and financial health
- Under the direction of a Partner, provide oversight and support to the research and evaluation efforts led by one or more external partners
- Develop materials that synthesize performance data for a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Serve as an external representative of NewSchools by meeting with others in the field and presenting on relevant topics at education events
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse communities and closing the achievement gap
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Effective project manager with attention to detail and ability to drive to completion
- Willingness to own high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Comfort and ability to manage multiple priorities amid ambiguity
- Broad knowledge of education reform history and trends; deep knowledge of charters, autonomous district schools; familiarity with research and evaluation in education
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis skills, ideally in a PK-12 setting; proficiency in financial modeling and financial statement analysis valued
- Proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memos, presentations)
- Ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with a wide variety of stakeholders, built on trust, respect, clear communication and shared goals
- Personal presence and communications skills necessary to effectively interact with external stakeholders
- Ability to think creatively and be resourceful
- Deep competency with PowerPoint, Word, Excel
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 4 years of experience in PK-12 education with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility
- Teaching, school leadership, finance, management consulting, and/or entrepreneurial experience valued
- Graduate degree in business, law, education and/or public policy strongly preferred
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume.
3 to 10 years
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders, and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine K-12 education.
For an overview of the Innovative Schools strategy, please visit our website.