Gale, a part of Cengage Learning, is an educational technology and content provider to libraries, schools, colleges and universities around the world. By combining sophisticated research and discovery tools with content spanning the globe and the centuries, Gale creates the resources today’s leaders and innovators need to spark ideas, start conversations, and satisfy curiosities. As a part of the Gale organization, you will play a role in supporting the research people need to be better at school, work and life.
Gale is looking for an experienced Marketing Director to lead the development and execution of data-driven marketing strategies designed to meet and exceed the revenue goals for the Academic/Higher Education market segment. A successful Marketing Director will partner with colleagues in the sales and product functions to develop go-to-market strategies that help drive the growth of the Gale business. This position also provides leadership and day-to-day management for a team of marketing managers and associates, and helps direct their efforts to apply consumer, market, and competitive data to decision making in order to create and launch integrated marketing programs that consistently promote the Gale brand and products, engage prospects, and generate leads.
Critical to the role are the ability to think creatively and strategically to solve problems, apply data to decision making, and translate knowledge of the higher education market into results. As a member of the marketing leadership team, the Marketing Director supports the VP of Marketing and partners with other marketing leaders to meet strategic business needs by leading various cross-market or company-wide initiatives as requested.
- Oversee the development of data-driven product marketing programs with the purpose of generating new sales leads for the company; as well as design programs that turn interested, qualified leads into successful customers
- Lead the creation of market-level messaging strategies by staying current with consumer and competitive insights, and marketing trends; influence product-level positioning and marketing efforts
- Partner with Product Management and Sales to engage customers appropriately throughout a product life cycle including bringing new products from concept to market, introducing enhancements/updates, and growing share of mature resources
- Guide the efforts of the marketing managers and associates to ensure campaigns are executed on time and within budget
- Help establish departmental best practices around the targeting and segmentation of campaigns to ensure we’re reaching the right customer with the right message, at the right time
- Keep Gale leadership and market stakeholders apprised of what’s in market and what’s driving results
- Partner with business analysts within Marketing, Sales and Product to understand the impact of marketing programs on the business, with an eye toward continuous optimization of lead-gen programs; be a champion for understanding and sharing the output of your team
- Forecast and manage assigned marketing budget(s)
- Develop, train and manage staff
- Provide support to VP on special projects and provides management support on department operational matters
- Complete other duties as assigned to meet company goals
- BA or BS required along with 8 or more years of progressive experience in B to B marketing, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience
- Experience in the publishing and/or information industry market(s)
- Working knowledge of product development and sales processes
- Proficient with marketing automation platforms to deliver email marketing and other content; experience with Eloqua preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills with effective and positive leadership qualities
- High level of creativity and out-of-the box thinking
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team and the ability to multi-task
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Siebel Systems
- Ability to travel and meet workload requirements
6 or more years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.