Cengage Learning - Farmington Hills, MI - Full time
Gale, a part of Cengage Learning, is looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic Acquisitions Editor (AE) to create new humanities-based digital archive products and programs, and to identify, negotiate, and sign publishing rights for relevant primary source materials. The format of this content will be broad, including newspapers, manuscripts, printed books, correspondence, scrapbooks, ephemera, legal documents, maps, videos, and more. The AE will need to manage existing content partner relationships in addition to cultivating new strategic partnerships.
As part of the Gale’s global archive development team, the AE will work cross functionally with production teams, product managers and software engineers to ensure that, once a contract is signed, the preservation, scanning, and conversion schedules are defined and managed. The AE will also work closely with Sales and Marketing to ensure that each product has a coherent and clearly defined go-to-market plan.
As a content expert in the humanities, the AE will propose new products that align with Gale’s short and long-term publishing goals, but will also identify key trends in academic and scholarly research that can be reflected in future publishing.
A strong entrepreneurial aptitude is essential.
- Create new primary source-based product and program concepts that will be sold in the academic library space both in the US and internationally.
- Identify key primary source collections that are in demand in the academic research space and evaluate the commercial potential of that content.
- Working with content partners, acquire the rights for target content sets and collections.
- Manage assigned existing partner relationships, including content acquisition, contracting, and delivery of content.
- Appoint, manage and consult academic advisory boards for each product and program as required.
- Prepare contracts and P&L for each new collection or product.
- Present new product proposals to the product development, sales and marketing teams
- Perform market analysis to gauge the desire for related content and the unique nature of any acquisition targets
- Perform competitive analysis to ensure new product concepts are unique and provide first-to-market access of key collections within each products
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure the timely delivery of content.
- Manage a 12 to 36 month content development and acquisition plan.
- Commission supporting materials (e.g. essays, timelines) from subject experts to place products in context
- Assist in the preparation of sales materials.
- Meet signing targets on a per-product basis, ensuring the scope and nature of each work is defensible and aligns to sales and marketing goals.
- Establish long-term relationships with curators, subject specialist, and archivists that deepen our partnerships with key content providers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required to work constructively with team members in the US and abroad, as well as diplomatically and professionally with content providers.
- Must be able to work on different projects simultaneously and be comfortable working under deadlines.
- Must be a confident public speaker and willing to attend and present at conferences, trade shows, customer events etc in order to represent the company and digital archives program.
- BA/BS; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Three years of publishing experience either selling or acquiring primary source content.
- Strong entrepreneurial aptitude, as evidenced by employment history.
- Desire to make a career in publishing.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to identify content sources and negotiate/prepare contracts.
- Ability to grow a publishing program in new directions and communicate your vision to the product development teams, marketing, and sales.
- Travel as necessary to content providers and partners as well as industry trade shows to identify new content and negotiate rights to desired content.
- Demonstrable interest and expertise in the humanities
- Experience in the digitization of primary source materials
- Educational focus/history in the humanities
- Knowledge and use of online digital archive products in a research environment
3 to 5 years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.