POSITION: Education Specialist, Elementary School
REPORTS TO: Principal
- Alpha School Leaders, Teachers, Students
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Cornerstone is looking for a full-time Education Specialist who demonstrates a strong desire to teach an academically rigorous curriculum and has an unswayable belief that ALL students can achieve at high levels. Duties include ensuring that students receive quality instruction, make accelerated educational progress, and reach or exceed their IEP and academic goals.
DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- California Teaching or Education Specialist Credential (Special Education - Mild to Moderate), intern credential or equivalent and Bachelor’s Degree, including all courses needed to meet credential requirements.
- NCLB compliant
- Conversational Spanish and/or Vietnamese is a plus
- Highly organized and able to create and maintain school systems
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-reflective
- Demonstrated knowledge of literacy and numeracy strategies for elementary grades
- Valid TB Clearance by first day of employment
- Clear Criminal Background/Fingerprint Clearance
- Computer skills- proficiency in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and others as necessary
- Provides educational instruction as outlined in the IEP for identified individuals with exceptional needs and monitors the implementation of the IEP.
- Uses data analysis to drive instructional practices, re-teaching strategies, and interventions.
- Responds to student data on a weekly, quarterly, and yearly basis based on student need.
- Provides accommodations and/or modifications to learners with disabilities for assignments and testing as determined by IEP team.
- Instructs students for the purpose of improving their success in assigned basic academic subject areas of reading, writing and/or math, etc.
- Manages student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment and develops behavior support plans with general education teacher as needed.
- Creates a learning environment which inspires academic achievement and an enthusiasm for learning.
- Organizes classroom systems/procedures/routines and manage student behavior to ensure students are fully engage in learning
- Establishes a culture of high expectations and college preparation for all students
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials consistent with Common Core State Standards
- Provides ongoing educational assessments and diagnosis of children for the purpose of identifying special learning problems and coordinates the development of individual instructional plans as appropriate for students identified with special needs.
- Evaluates students' abilities in basic academics for the purpose of assisting other personnel in the diagnosis' of learning disorders, development of remediation plans and/or student progress.
- Administers standardized achievement tests, interprets results to determine learners’ strengths and areas of need for initial, annual and triennial assessments.
- Drafts and writes professional and compliant IEP's, as well as finalize the data in SEIS (affirm all IEP'S)
- Establishes procedures to process and place eligible students: develop screening programs in areas of academics and behavior; use data to determine eligibility for special education services; and provide research-based instruction and interventions of increasing intensity of supports to benefit all students
- Works cooperatively with staff and parents toward resolution of mutual concerns.
- Collaborates closely with other teachers, consultants, and the leadership team to align curriculum across subjects, improve own and others’ instructional practices and share best practices
- Participates in grade-level meetings, staff professional development, parent conferences, and various additional trainings to improve practice
- Coordinates referral and assessment procedures and facilitates the coordination of IEP team meetings and the implementation of special education services (Speech, Occupational Therapy, etc.).
- Provides consultation, resource information, and materials regarding individuals with exceptional needs to regular staff members.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and support for, Cornerstone’s mission, vision, standards, policies and procedures, and confidentiality standards.
- Assures full compliance with legal requirements as prescribed by federal law under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Act 1997) and IDEIA (Individuals with Disabilities in Education Improvement Act, 2004) and State of California Education Code.
- Maintains and prepares all special education reports and IEPs.
- Maintains professional relationships with pupils, parents, colleagues and supervising staff members.
- Completes responsibilities in a timely manner as required by the school’s leadership team and meets all deadlines for deliverables.
- Arrive at school by 7:05 am and remain on campus until 5:00 pm unless otherwise directed.
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please use this link to submit your application online: https://boards.greenhouse.io/alphapublicschools/jobs/273576
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.