New Teacher Center (NTC) is actively seeking candidates who are committed to developing capacity in schools and in community school districts in NYC to support the quality implementation of our i3 grant-funded initiative. The i3 Implementation Director will provide leadership and support for the teacher induction and instructional mentoring model, a key lever for improving teaching and learning in classrooms in NYCDOE.
New Teacher Center (NTC), a national non-profit organization, was awarded a federal Investing in Innovation (i3) scale-up grant to partner with NYCDOE to expand the implementation of NTC’s research-based induction model beginning July 2016.The primary focus of the i3 Program will be to create and implement a comprehensive, rigorous support system of new teacher induction and instructional mentoring.The i3 Implementation Director will support the oversight and implementation of the New Teacher Center’s i3 Initiative in four community school districts.This includes program management, leadership and communications with all district stakeholders and partners, coordination within the induction program team, collaboration with NTC and supervision of i3 Lead Coaches.
The i3 Implementation Director’s capacity will be developed by New Teacher Center to shadow and coach i3 Lead Coaches and school-based instructional mentors in the field, and to facilitate professional development for mentors and/or school leaders in the model. The position requires a strong background in curriculum, instruction, assessment, professional development, and leadership and communication skills.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
The following is an overview of the duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. The employee may perform other duties as required:
Development and Ongoing Management
- Provide leadership in planning, developing, scheduling, implementing, and evaluating all induction program components. Along with other NTC staff, will provide capacity building and consultation in the preparation, launch, and implementation of the induction program.
- Coordinate and deliver, as needed, NTC mentor teacher and principal professional development, including forums.
- Oversee communications and operations to support an effective launch and year-long implementation.
- Identify potential issues and problems within the induction program, and work with other NTC staff and DOE partners to develop district appropriate solutions.
- Work to establish new teacher induction and mentoring as integral to talent development work in NYCDOE and within each Community School District (CSD) and school involved in the i3 initiative.
- Collaborate with superintendents and their teams, Principals and Assistant Principals, and central DOE partners. Convene stakeholders on a regular basis for quality, consistency, and alignment.
- Participate in engagement and collaboration meetings with district leadership.
- Contribute to the hiring process for i3 Lead Coaches, including their onboarding and capacity building.
- Support school leaders with the selection process for school-based instructional mentors.
- Manage and oversee i3 Lead Coach deployment.
- Supervise, coach and develop i3 Lead Coaches, both in regular one-on-one meetings and in team time.
Quality Control and Data Management
- Observe mentors through regular field visits.
- Manage programmatic goal setting.
- Oversee management and tracking of participant data.
- Support i3 Lead Coaches in conducting site visits that bolster program fidelity and support quality implementation.
Knowledge Management and Communication
- Contribute to sharing of regular program-wide communications.
- Facilitate the sharing of best practices among participating cohorts.
- Distribute material resources to each participating organization.
- Oversee operations associated with implementation of the program, and collaborate extensively with the i3 Program Manager.
- Be responsive to needs of participating district leaders and teams, as well as the needs of principals and mentors, providing timely follow up via phone, email and in-person.
- Facilitate communication between NTC and the school district and with each CSD, serving as a primary point of contact.
- Participate in an appropriate capacity at NTIN and other NTC-led events.
- When appropriate, host site visits for NTC clients and interact with district-specific funders.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years experience as an educator and teacher mentor or coach
- Demonstrated examples of leadership in a variety of contexts including extensive experience working within a team leadership setting
- Exemplary experience mentoring or coaching teachers, ideally those early in their career
- Knowledge about school district management and operations
- Knowledge about teacher and/or principal development, including leading and designing professional development
- Familiarity with the New Teacher Center model for induction and instructional mentoring is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills with the experience of balancing multiple tasks at one time; outstanding time management skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong data analysis skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to think at both a big picture and detailed level
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ambiguous and changing climate
- Demonstrate the highest standards of honesty, integrity, flexibility and responsiveness
ADA Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Work normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Limited physical effort required
- Ability to type a minimum of 40 wpm
- Grasping, hearing, repetitive hand motions, lifting under 50 pounds, sitting, talking, typing
New Teacher Center offers an outstanding benefit package to all eligible staff! Below is a list of some of the benefits you’ll have access to:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA), dependent care, parking & transit program
- Generous paid holiday, vacation, and sick time
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Life insurance
- Professional development
- Most importantly, we offer a collaborative, kind, and supportive environment with colleagues who are passionate about improving education!
3 or more years
Are you passionate about education? Do you want all students to have access to a quality education regardless of their zip code? We hope you’ll join us in furthering our mission of improving student learning by accelerating the effectiveness of new teachers and school leaders.
New Teacher Center (NTC) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to improving student learning by guiding a new generation of educators. Founded by teachers in 1998, NTC works in conjunction with school districts, state policy makers and educators across the country to increase the effectiveness of teachers and school leaders at all levels. These programs are built upon research-based principles for teacher onboarding, mentoring and ongoing coaching, and are proven to accelerate teacher effectiveness, reduce teacher churn and improve student achievement. NTC has made it their mission to overcome challenges students and teachers face by providing all educators with the support and resources necessary to succeed from their first day to their last. NTC now supports over 8,500 mentors and coaches and 31,600 teachers, and is improving the learning of over 2.2 million students across the country. For more information, please visit: http://www.newteachercenter.org.