Cengage Learning is leading the transition from print to value-added digital and custom solutions by developing a deep understanding of its customers’ needs, capitalizing on synergies across its businesses, and delivering innovative products and services that cannot be matched by its competitors.
In the transition to digital, the business recognizes that there is no ‘one size fits all’ in learning. Finding the right combination of content, pedagogy and technology makes it easier for teachers to teach, and students to learn. Cengage Learning’s strategy is to provide the right solution for each instructor; and to develop hybrid, customized, integrated teaching and learning systems that deepen student engagement and improve learning outcomes.
We are looking for a highly motivated, energetic, analytical and operational Manager of Sales Operations, Systems and Tools focused on driving efficiency and effectiveness of the Higher Ed, National Geographic and Institutional sales organizations, comprising of well over 500 sales professionals. This role will be a key leader to make sure the sales force is humming like a well-oiled machine – through better systems, processes, analytics and operations. The position will provide an excellent opportunity to be part of a growing team and to learn the fundamentals of the Strategy & Operations world at an exciting Education Technology & Publishing company going through a transformation in the industry. This role will report to the Executive Director of Sales Operations, Systems and Tools and work with the broader Go-To-Market Strategy & Operations Group. This role will be located in the Boston office, with up to 30% travel.
- Work directly with Sales and Marketing management to understand business priorities, identify strategic initiatives, and deliver on analytical solutions, reporting, system enhancements and process improvements that drive efficiency and effectiveness within the organization
- Determine, measure and analyze metrics that will allow us to understand in-depth the drivers of Sales Force efficiency and effectiveness, allowing us to fine tune performance
- Organize, frame and deliver those metrics in databases, dashboards and other tools to leadership and the sales force so that we can leverage them on a daily basis to drive step-change improvements in Sales efficiency, effectiveness, productivity and growth in overall revenue and digital sales
- Establishing standard operating mechanisms for reporting that efficiently support the sales organization
- Lead and support key Sales and Marketing strategic projects with detailed insight, structuring and analysis; present insights and recommendations to Sales and Marketing leadership; drive operational implementation of recommendations after gaining buy-in
- Lead and support ad hoc analysis and special projects as needed by Sales and Marketing Leadership.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in an analytical / STEM based major. MBA or Masters in a Technical Field (Finance, Computing, Engineering) a Plus.
- Minimum 6-8 years’ work experience in either or combination of:
- Management strategy consulting
- Corporate strategy of a B2B / Information Services / SaaS type company
- Sales Strategy & Operations of a B2B / Information Services / SaaS type company
- Strategic Finance group embedded within Sales and Marketing in B2B / Information Services / SaaS type company
- Comfortable wearing multiple hats, ranging from leading strategy, finance and / or operational discussions to working with data to provide thoughtful analysis.
- Self-directed, self-motivated and demonstrated experience providing ideas and solutions to further business understanding - being able to take a module of work and drive to completion with limited guidance
- Must be able to listen and interpret the requirements of internal clients, plan accordingly and exceed expectations.
- Exemplifies initiative, intelligence, strong attention to detail, and integrity in striving for continuous improvement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as, strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop moderately complex financial and operational models using spreadsheets and database software.
- Demonstrated financial modeling knowledge and skills. Strong analytical, quantitative, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to correlate results from data analysis to sales processes and drive continuous improvement.
- Expert level in Microsoft Excel, Access & PowerPoint required; Hyperion Essbase, Oracle, SFDC, CRM, VBA skills preferred.
- Strategic mindset- be able to tell a story through analysis
- Interest and/ or previous experience in education, software, and/or publishing industries a plus
- Travel expected (up to 30%)
6 to 10 years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.