Position Title: Strategic Data Manager
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director
Founded in 2009, The College-Ready Promise’s (TCRP) mission is to prepare students to be college-ready by helping teachers reach their full potential. We pursue the mission by supporting a network of highly effective Charter Management Organizations (CMOs) to further their own and each other’s practice. Support is characterized as sub-grants, learning communities, knowledge management, and external dissemination efforts. Through this work, we commit to the continued growth of CMO best examples, to seeding the next generation of innovative schools, and to set the bar for high quality so that the national charter sector has clarity when advocating closing or reconstituting schools unable to meet student needs.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and collaborating with the Managing Director, the Strategic Data Manager will oversee the collection and analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data in order to achieve the organization’s strategic objectives and mission. Data will be collected on the following: demographic information, programmatic efforts, personalized learning, Common Core State Standards, teacher effectiveness, innovative professional development, CMO capacity building, and the use of time and resources supporting academic performance data.
The manager will work in partnership with key data collection partners to collect data from TCRP’s partner CMO members in addition to evaluating the necessity of additional data collection efforts. The data, while being used to set benchmarks and as a formative assessment of TCRP’s successes and challenges, will also be used to launch cycles of inquiry at individual CMOs as well as across groups of CMOs. Through the cycles of inquiry, the manager will identify common problems of practice across the member organizations and, with the Managing Director and CEO, develop strategic partnerships and research initiatives to help member organizations address these problems with innovative and timely solutions. Once solutions are proposed and piloted, the manager will support the compilation, analysis and dissemination of knowledge created from these efforts for internal and external use.
College-Ready Data Coordinator
- Secure a Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) and any other necessary data sharing agreements;
- Determine whether the general sample design meets requirements and needs;
- Complete sampling frames and rosters;
- Determine appropriate points of contact for CMO feedback surveys and artifact collection;
- Plan and conduct outreach with CMO leaders and staff, principals, and teachers;
- Interact with CMO leaders and/or sampled study participants to increase response rates;
- Provide performance data and other indicators that are not publicly available for network
CMOs/schools in Excel/csv format;
Share aggregate results with CMO stakeholders.
Data analysis and strategy
- Analyze historic data from CMOs to a) understand historical goals and performance associated with the common problem and b) establish a full TCRP college readiness baseline dataset;
- Set annual independent and collective college readiness goals as directed by CEO, which tie to
the organization’s grant-set outcomes, and design a process to gather data and track progress against those goals;
- Establish a secure data storing system;
- Use longitudinal data to influence the college readiness problem on a national scale through a
two pronged approach: (1) highlighting, innovating upon and sharing best practices around teacher effectiveness and common core implementation, and (2) using data to analyze and calibrate practice to promote effectiveness;
- Determine and make recommendations for sustainability of data collection in future years including the areas of: staffing, tracking, storing, and sharing data;
- Create systems for using data to provide ongoing feedback and support to CMOs for the improvement of practice.
Dissemination and Communication
- Work independently and as part of a team to develop detailed research reports, white papers, and fact sheets on local and national charter policy and programs;
- Explain research and findings to Board Members and other key stakeholders.
- The Strategic Data Manager will be thoroughly committed to The College-Ready Promise’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications may include:
- Master’s degree in public policy, education, sociology, statistics or a related field, including a minimum of two graduate-level statistics, research or program evaluation courses
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive—humility, flexibility, patience, and resilience required to address multiple barriers and see projects from beginning to end
- 3-5 years of related experience, demonstrating project management and team leadership
- Experience managing, organizing and synthesizing large amounts of qualitative and quantitative
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and analytical
- Demonstrated ability to undertake complex analysis and research projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, a persuasive, knowledgeable, and passionate
communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Experience with collaborating within organizations and with partners and peers in other regions
- Ability to anticipate needs, work independently, and seek clarification when necessary
- Proficiency with a statistical software package, such as STATA, SAS, R, or SPSS
- Disciplined, structured and data driven approach to decision making and problem solving with a sharp focus on metrics, outcomes and results
- An exceptionally high level of integrity, trust, accountability and superior judgment
- Excellent strategic thinking skills, with the ability to operationalize concepts and transform ideas
into action as well as apply research findings to ongoing program development
- Preference given for candidates with knowledge of educational research and current trends in
charter schools, the achievement gap and Common Core State Standards
To apply for this position: send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Strategic Data Manager" in the title.
1 to 5 years
The College-Ready Promise’s (TCRP) mission is to prepare students to be college-ready and decrease the achievement gap. We pursue the mission by supporting a network of highly effective Charter Management Organizations (CMOs) to further their own and each other’s practice. Support is characterized as sub-grants, learning communities, knowledge management, and external dissemination efforts. Through this work, we commit to the continued growth of CMO best examples, to seeding the next generation of innovative schools, and to set the bar for high quality so that the national charter sector has clarity when advocating closing or reconstituting schools unable to meet student needs.