Full Stack Web Instructor and Curriculum Engineer
Make School - San Francisco, CA - Full time
Make School’s Product Academy is a 2-year higher education program for aspiring software engineers and founders. Students spend two years learning computer science foundations, software engineering, and product development through a blend of project-based learning and industry experience. Unlike traditional university, students have zero upfront cost for the program; instead they pay tuition through earnings.
Your work will serve as the foundation for the Make School educational experience as we scale from 50 students to 5,000 students and beyond. By joining our team, you’ll be creating the blueprint for the future of higher education.
Our curriculum will be open sourced -- parts are already used by MIT and Carnegie Mellon as well as by tens of thousands of students online. You’ll have the unique opportunity to engage and inspire young software engineers face-to-face as well as to inspire those across the world.
What you’ll do:
- Build and deliver Make School's web development curriculum
- Teach mastery of core web technologies and development practices
- Spend 40% of your time time in the classroom, helping students with projects, and identifying areas of need
- Spend 30% of your time working with the Curriculum Team building and updating content
- Spend 30% of your time working on open source projects, attending hackathons, building internal tools, etc.
What we're looking for:
- Passion for teaching and mentoring developers
- A strongly held belief that students learn best through guided, hands-on experience
- Strong understanding of development best practices (TDD, version control, design patterns, performance), math principles (calculus and statistics), CS principles (algorithms and data structures), and advanced CS concepts
- A positive impact on the people around you
- We are open to applicants with expertise in at least two major languages and frameworks on: Python, Flask, Ruby, Sinatra, Rails, Node, SQL & NoSQL databases, JS Frameworks, HTML/CSS
Become a better developer and teacher:
- Receive expert training in research-driven teaching techniques
- Contribute to open source projects and attend hackathons for free
- Explore the latest tools and technologies
- Teaching is the path to mastery!
Grow your professional network:
- Networking opportunities with Make School's Corporate Partners including LinkedIn, Lyft, and MindBodyOnline
- Our team is a family: join us for regular networking events, city outings, company game nights, etc.
3 or more years
About Make School
Make School is building a university replacement for Computer Science. The program spans two years, divided by a six month internship at a tech startup. Students learn the CS theory covered by traditional universities paired with the practical experience of building and shipping products plus soft skills such as ethics, storytelling, and interpersonal communication.Students network with successful founders and developers throughout the program, and are placed at a tech startup upon graduating. The program has no up front cost, and instead students pay tuition through internship and post-grad job earnings. Our pilot class kicked off September 2014 with eleven students, two of whom chose Make School over MIT. They shipped apps like Stitch News and Refuge Restrooms (featured in Buzzfeed) and received offers from Snapchat, Pandora, Edmodo, Dailymotion, Dr. Chrono and more. We also run a two month Summer Academy program teaching iOS development, and our online curriculum powers courses at MIT and Carnegie Mellon.