Assistant Director - School Leadership 2017-2018
Summit Public Schools - CA - Full time
Great school leaders are critical to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse student population for success in a four-year college or university, and to be thoughtful, contributing members of society. The Assistant Director works to ensure that the mission and vision of the school is implemented effectively. To do this they collaborate with the Executive Director to oversee instructional leadership, faculty, students, operations, facilities, and managing positive relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
Who we are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the Bay Area and Washington state. Our network operates nine schools serving almost 2,500 students. At Summit, we are expanding a model of schools that puts students in the driver’s seat, equipping them with the powerful and enduring skills necessary for success in the 21st century workforce. We believe all students deserve schools that are designed to prepare them for the demands of our diverse, connected and ever-changing world. We are working hard to make education student-centered and engaging.
At Summit Public Schools, you are joining a community committed to excellence and continual growth. We prioritize developing leaders from within and have invested in multiple career pathway programs for our teachers and school leaders. With 45 days of professional development built-in the academic year, our teachers are equipped with the tools necessary to improve their practice and tackle challenging issues for which there is no pre-written playbook. If you are looking for the opportunity to drive transformative change in a diverse community of learners and contribute to re-imagining what schools should be, ultimately creating a richer learning experience that empowers every child to realize his or her highest potential, we encourage you to apply.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director will have the following responsibilities in collaboration with the Executive Director:
- Articulate a vision, strategy and set of goals that align with the mission of Summit Public Schools;
- Ensure an effective academic program at the school site that accelerates outcomes for all students and meets the vision and mission;
- Ensure a strong student culture that meets the mission of college readiness, strong character and strong community;
- Actively coach and lead members of the faculty according to the organization’s mission, the campus priorities and the principals of personalized learning;
- Attract, develop and retain a high performing faculty;
- Lead the school's culture of data and use of information systems;
- Cultivate strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders ;
- Attend all school leadership meetings and collaborative actively with other Directors;
- Ensure a positive perception of Summit schools in the community through marketing and outreach;
- Ensure that School Operations are met effectively and that priorities are mission aligned;
- Be aware of the political and legislative landscape as it applies to charter schools in general and one’s own school.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values and belief that all children deserve a rigorous, college-preparatory education
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education and/or participation in the Leadership Fellows program is preferred but not required)
- A California Teaching Credential (or a commitment to obtain one) - if you have any questions please review our credentialing FAQ document or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teaching experience within a Summit school or extensive teaching experience elsewhere
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- A track record of academic success and a commitment to education reform
- Strong people management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance;
- Meet health clearance and pass the reference, background/criminal checks, per education code.
Any experience level
Who We Are:
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 3,000 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Through the Summit Basecamp Program, we have partnered with over 100 public schools in twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia, and are providing over 20,000 students a truly personalized learning experience. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university.
Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. Summit seeks phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools atop 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
- Summit Sierra, in Seattle, was named one of the most innovative schools in the world