Data Analysis Manager
EducationSuperHighway - San Francisco, CA - Full time
Because data is at the heart of our programs and outreach, leading the Data Analytics Team is core to convincing schools to act on upgrading their broadband infrastructure. The team’s hard work collecting data, cleaning data, and producing effective analyses has moved the policy needle swiftly, supporting an increase in the Federal E-rate budget used to connect schools to affordable internet and scalable fiber connections in service of supporting students' digital learning. You will work side-by-side with a world class engineering team and colleagues committed to our mission who are working directly with state and district partners. You are an intellectually curious wonk. You think outside the box and design creative, rigorous methods for researching our questions.
The leader of this team individually contributes in delivering analytical initiatives in core data from E-rate. You love leading technical people and diligently develop your abilities to listen, learn, and act on the needs of individuals, the team, and how best to contribute to the mission. The successful candidate cultivates a deep understanding of ESH data assets and processes, has the ability to develop, deliver, and expand analytical reporting, provides data insights and solutions to inquiries and requests from our State, District, Marketing and Operating Teams, provides statistical analysis and modeling, and improves quality assurance practices. The ideal candidate has experience working with web products- specifically, how to use data to inform and influence the direction of the product team roadmaps and inform feature sets. Experience with segmentation, activation, retention analysis, and a/b testing on the web a plus.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Provide data and statistical analysis of EducationSuperHighway research activities and data improvements projects
- Ensure further professional growth of analysts by evaluating and supporting their development in best practices, essential skill sets, and structured pairing and cross-training
- Develop analytical best practices and partner with Product Management to implement strategies for programs and web products
- Provide analytical support for cross-functional projects by working through major strategy initiatives and researching factors critical to program progress
- Partner with product, engineering, and marketing to rapidly design experiments and iterate on results
- Improve our understanding of patterns/trends in user behavior and find new product opportunities to reach our targets
- In conjunction with the Product Management team, advise on building dashboards and reports to drive awareness of key metrics and understanding of experiment results
- 5 years or less experience working in an analytical or quantitative research capacity in academia, NGO’s, government, or the private sector
- Advanced degrees in mathematics, statistics, data science, economics, or a related field welcomed (but not required)
- Data science skills and related work experience
- Familiarity/experience with education or the Non-Profit sector is a bonus
- Alignment/identification with our mission is important for our work
- Experience managing: you love managing knowledge workers and providing coaching, support, and thought partnership to solve analytical and engineering problems
- Knowledge of salesforce.com and experience with tableau important; nice to have Programming experience and the ability to wrangle data sets
- You have enough experience in R to expound on the following questions:
- Q: In general, which method is better to use in R: a for-loop or an apply function? Why?
- Q: What is the purpose of using the aes function within a ggplot function?
- You know enough to be dangerous with SQL and can easily create, when required, a left outer join
- Experience with Python preferred, but not required
- You have utilized excel and can fall back on in a MacGyver-like way.
- Detail-Oriented – Does not let important details slipthrough the cracks, yet able to manage a high volume of work with tightdeadlines. Can manipulate data sets, find trends, clean data, sort for keypoints
- Analytical Thinking - Analyzes and synthesizes information to understand root issues, formulates hypotheses, and supports sound decision-making by developing data analysis, solutions, and implementing process enhancements
- Follow-Through – Lives up to verbal and written agreements, can lead and implement project plan from initial plan to close of project with defined results
- Communication Skills – Speaks/writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including emails. Develops clear analysis related to business case importance as well as presentations for department users, business leaders, and executives
- Proactivity – Exhibits strong drive to proactively identify and implement process improvements. Self-directed after being provided departmental and manager guidance (not necessary to micro manage)
- Organized – Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities. Can develop and prioritize work for self and team. Can work well with a team as well as enjoys being self-directed.
- Results – Oriented – Accountable for delivery of high-quality product from development to production (and beyond)
- Diversity & Inclusion - The ability to account for one's own and other's world views and identify opportunities, make decisions, and resolve conflicts in ways that optimizes differences for better, longer lasting, and more creative solutions
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. Please note, EducationSuperHighway is an Equal Opportunity Employer
6 or more years
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in America’s K-12 public schools. We believe that digital learning represents an unprecedented opportunity to provide every student with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work helped shape President Obama’s ConnectED initiative, served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 40 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 20 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past two years.