Quill.org - New York, NY - Full time
We are looking for a web designer who is passionate about education and building communities. As the designer at Quill, you will work with the staff and our open source community to design new features to help students, teachers, and administrators. To see how writing instruction can be a game changer for students, please check out this Atlantic article: https://theatln.tc/2aJnEfU
We’re a small team of four working in the Financial District of New York City. Our entire team is self-taught, and we value resourcefulness over previous experience.
You Will Be:
- Speak with teachers and students to understand their needs.
- Using tools like Sketch, Illustrator and Photoshop to translate complex ideas into visually elegant, user-friendly designs.
- Advocate for teachers and students in all decisions with the product, engineering, and design teams.
You Should have:
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy for student needs – students have a wide-range of skills, and teachers have very limited time – understanding their needs and working within these constraints is critical.
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about “how it looks,” or “what we should design,” but “why are we designing this at all?”
- Experience designing websites and web apps.
- Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or Sketch.
- Comfort taking initiative and receiving less explicit directions and structure. This is an early-stage start-up, so we all wear many hats.
- Experience using a style guide / working within an established design system.
- 2 Years of experience designing web or mobile apps.
- Tell us about your stance on zebra tables.
To learn more about Quill, check out these links:
This is a full-time role on-site in the Financial District of New York City, and we cannot sponsor a visa. If you’re interested, please send a resume and your portfolio. Feel free to send over any other links you’d like to share – your blog, twitter, Twitter, Dribbble, LinkedIn, Instagram, Goodreads, Geocities, etc.
Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered.
1 or more years
Quill is an open source web app that helps low-income K-12 students become sharp writers. Quill is actively used by 100,000 students from 2,000 schools across the country, and we are funded by foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Google.org, and the AT&T Foundation.