Vincent Academy - Oakland, CA - Full time
Vincent Academy is a charter elementary school located in the heart of West Oakland. In its sixth year of operation, Vincent Academy is grounded in the essential belief that every child deserves a great education, and with adequate support, every child can succeed in school. Vincent Academy has created a safe, joyful, academically rigorous, and community-minded elementary school environment where children can develop their innate talents and skills, learn about the complex world around them, and receive the support necessary to truly thrive.
Open eleven hours each day throughout the school year and summer, Vincent Academy combines a rigorous academic program, augmented by a rich offering of the arts, with a strong system of support services for students. Approximately one-quarter of the school’s students and their families access mental health services, which are offered through a contract with Lincoln Child Center, a local resource center that specializes in working with vulnerable children and families. To mitigate learning deficits, Vincent Academy also invests heavily in academic intervention for students needing additional academic support beyond the classroom. These efforts have paid off, with Vincent Academy students significantly outperforming their neighboring schools with proficiency rates that were 25 points higher in ELA and 30-40 points higher in math on the 2015 SBAC test.
The school is located in a new facility constructed in 2015. Current enrollment is approximately 300 students, of which approximately 98% are children of color and 94% qualify for free or reduced price lunch. Vincent Academy serves as a true community school, with two-thirds of students living within a mile of the school. The school is currently working on a plan to expand to a full middle school, i.e. serving grades TK-8 in the next few years. For more information about Vincent Academy, please visit www.vincentacademy.org.
Vincent Academy is seeking an entrepreneurial leader with a passion for the organization’s mission to build its practices and results from good to great. The Executive Director (ED) will be responsible for the organization’s success in meeting its academic, school culture, operations, finance and programmatic growth goals. S/he will be primarily responsible for: overseeing the school’s academic program; managing Vincent Academy’s administrative leadership team and central office staff; and will serve as the primary liaison between the school and its external audiences, including the board, parents, local authorizer bodies, and funders. Vincent Academy is also considering the extension of its elementary school program to serve students in grades TK-8th grade, a project that the ED may ultimately oversee during his/her tenure.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will be an experienced manager with: a passion for educational equity; an eye for recruiting and retaining high-quality talent; a knack for strategic planning and prioritizing; an understanding of high-quality instructional practice; and the ability to foster relationships with a diverse array of constituents. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and experience working with similar communities to those that Vincent Academy serves are also essential to success in this role.
The Executive Director’s key responsibilities include:
- Leading the vision for Vincent Academy’s success, including ensuring that its academic programs, school culture, community engagement, and external partnerships are highly effective and tightly aligned to the school’s mission and goals;
- Managing the principal and other senior staff, remaining deeply committed to developing and bringing out the strengths of all of Vincent Academy’s people while holding them accountable for their goals and desired student outcomes;
- Partnering with the Board of Directors and funders to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to maintain the health and growth of the school;
- Inspiring students and faculty to be their best selves every day, ensuring an unyielding focus at all times on what is best for Vincent Academy’s scholars, their families and their community.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Executive Director will be:
- An accomplished leader (preferably in the charter school sector), with experience as a school-site administrator serving a similar community of students and families.
- Inspiring in his or her management style; one who sees the possibility in all adults and is willing to devote time to coach and develop them while holding them accountable to measurable results.
- Instructional expert, one who is experienced in building sustainable academic programs and knowledgeable about best practices related to school expansion.
- Culturally competent and a self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, and other issues of difference in our society and has personally worked in similar urban communities to ensure all students have the opportunities they deserve.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization; able to focus on big picture priorities while not losing sight of the details.
- Dynamic and versatile, engages effectively with a variety of individuals and speaks in a clear, compelling, and authentic manner about the organization’s goals and priorities without confusing or alienating community stakeholders.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter addressed to the Vincent Academy Executive Director Search Committee online at goo.gl/K73rWp. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Christina Legg Greenberg at email@example.com or at 510.575.9635.
6 or more years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.