Role: Lead Developer/Engineer
Team: Product Development, Office of Talent Research and Data, NYC Department of Education
About the Work
We're a new team formed at the Department of Education tasked with designing, testing, and launching new tools to support principals, teachers, and administrators in their learning, growth, and decision making. We're transforming the way the largest public school district in the city engages and makes decisions with data, bringing a user-centered approach to our work from design to implementation. You'll be joining at an exciting time as we co-create and experiment with thousands of educators who are ultimately working their hardest to create greater opportunity for nearly 2 million students across New York City.
You'll fit in well with this team if you have a passion for learning and experimentation and are curious about how technology can improve education. We operate with the humility of knowing our work affects thousands of schools and the people doing their best to make them great but also with a sense of urgency that pushes us to take risks and learn from our wins and losses. You can think of us as a small start-up within a much larger organization where you'll have the benefit of sharing a wide range of resources, data, and infrastructure while taking great ownership and responsibility for the products we build.
We’re looking for someone who is hands-on leader who’s excited to do everything from code reviews to team programming. As someone who will mentor and help support two junior developers, it’s essential that you also show strong coaching and teaching foundations.
Reports to: Team Director, Product Development
About the Role
- Design, develop, launch, and manage web-based applications for internal and external audiences
- Coach, mentor, and support 2 junior developers
- Lead code reviews and foster a culture of testing and automation throughout engineering optimization
- Assure that security and accessibility are at the forefront of our work
- Collaborate with UX designers, product managers, and colleagues across the DOE (including IT) to assure we’ll building a scalable, sustainable, and high value suite of products
- Maintain and update our internal code toolsets as needed
- Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability
- At least 2 years building software products
- Exceptional problem solving skills, including technical and strategic challenges
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience
- Strong teaching and coaching skills with examples to prove it
- A Github repository and portfolio to demonstrate past and current projects and contributions
- Experience leading a team of developers
- A passion for working in education and for a government agency in particular
- Data visualization libraries (e.g. D3, Raphael)
1 to 10 years
About the Team
The Office of Talent Research and Data (ORD) is a group of smart, innovative analysts who explore the intersection of data and education policy. Our portfolio includes educator effectiveness, workforce research, exploratory research, and product design. Our ultimate goal is to provide research and analytics that support data-driven systems and decision-making in the nation’s largest school district. To do all of this great work, we utilize many tools – SAS, SQL, R, and Tableau, and collaborate with multiple outside offices and divisions within NYCDOE. Our culture is relaxed but demanding. We follow Agile management principles, and we want curious people who can work together to generate and test ideas, and learn from failures in order to arrive at a successful solution. ORD members gain invaluable analytical experience and exposure to many diverse workstreams and skill sets.