The Senior Director for eCommerce will provide leadership and vision to define, build and drive the eCommerce business for Cengage Learning, developing and implementing a best-in-class, cross-channel online shopping experience that meets the needs of various customer segments. Reporting to the SVP, Demand Creation, the person in this position will be responsible for driving eCommerce revenue growth in direct partnership with various marketing, sales, product strategy, commercial, IT, creative, and production teams creating a coordinated, unified online shopping experience.. The Senior Director will deliver the eCommerce annual plan in accordance with defined sales goals and will develop a long-range plan that delivers disproportionate top and bottom line growth.
The Senior Director will be responsible for leading and orchestrating omni-channel initiatives to drive online traffic and conversion, leveraging emerging trends and best practices, marketing ideas and customer behavior. This person will lead a team of direct reports towards excellent stewardship and execution of all eCommerce strategy & operations projects. It is expected that the Senior Director be a capability builder, surface insightful information through in-depth analysis, and foster innovation in a fast-moving space.
- Serve as a general manager and business leader for Cengage Learning eCommerce across channels, with responsibility for leading eCommerce strategy, development and execution initiatives in alignment with Cengage’s growth strategy.
- Develop and execute both short and long term business plans for continued sales & profit growth through prioritizing, and driving forward site features, functionality & campaigns.
- Develop & regularly communicate eCommerce strategic plans, performance, tradeoffs and competitive benchmarking to leadership team.
- Own channel performance hind-sighting and optimization.
- Identify new business opportunities and develop new business models and partnerships that grow revenue and enhance customer experience.
- Collaborate with strategic internal partners to ensure consistency across internal and external channels.
- Deliver insightful category and competitive analysis that helps shape a strategic and operational eCommerce program.
- Deliver game changing data-based strategic solutions to business issues and challenges that are presented on a day-to-day basis through exceptional business analytics.
- Build organizational capability in the business through data-based consumer insight development and education.
- Provide thought leadership for overall site merchandising, including channel presentation and promotion of all product offers, working closely with our product / platform teams
- In collaboration with Demand Gen, Creative, and Student Marketing teams, develop and manage execution of all ecommerce marketing campaigns including e-mail, social, affiliate, SEO/SEM, PPC, Personalization/Targeting and traditional media in support of ecommerce growth.
- Constantly improve customer experience, setting and meeting sales, conversion and average order value goals.
- Recruit, retain, lead and motivate a team of talented eCommerce professionals, providing vision, direction, and guidance on site merchandising, eCommerce website operations, eCommerce product management.
- Collaborate with IT on the overall eCommerce technology and plans including defining new functionality to implement for the site.
- Build and leverage strong cross functional business relationships to effectively execute strategies and lead broad initiatives.
- Support integrated programs, promotions and initiatives that originate within the marketing or commercial teams.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 8+ years of eCommerce Experience.
- 5+ years of people management & development experience
- Proven track record of building a successful ecommerce business in a complex, omni-channel environment; from strategy through to detailed execution
- Strong marketing acumen balanced with financial and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think creatively
- Experience in developing short and long term strategic plans, with ability to move seamlessly between strategic planning and tactical execution
- Exceptional collaboration skills, proven ability to form strong cross-functional relationships with varying business partners
- Demonstrated leadership skills, driving cross functional teams and building high performing teams
- Lead change and work with and inspire a broad range of individuals towards one common goal
- Self-starter, results oriented
- Strong entrepreneurial drive that inspires the team to test and learn and scale successful innovations to drive business growth
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills; ability to manage differing points of views across broad sets of stakeholders and influence an appropriate solution
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to simplify complex messages and influence ideas and initiatives throughout all levels of the organization
- Innovative, flexible, and creative problem-solving skills
- Advanced experience with capabilities such as Omniture and Google Analytics
6 or more years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.