We currently have an outstanding opportunity for a Director of Instructional Design, responsible for ensuring that our nationally recognized platform, PowerMyLearning Connect, features best-in-class content that harnesses the power of digital learning to improve educational outcomes for K-12 students. In this role, you will lead a team of content experts and be responsible for providing educators, students, and parents with top-quality, rigorous, standards-aligned content that leverages the best open and free content on the web. Reporting to the Managing Director of Products & Programs at PowerMyLearning, this role is a key member of PowerMyLearning’s leadership team and will be the external facing voice of our content work. This role will be located in New York City.
- Oversee the direction of PowerMyLearning’s content offerings -- based on the voice of the customer, empirical research, staff input, and industry trends -- to ensure that our content offerings transform teaching and learning
- Serve as thought leader in instructional and learning-experience design and articulate PowerMyLearning’s content vision and value to external and internal stakeholders
- Expand and engage with an Advisory Council of experts & thought leaders in learning science, curriculum design, personalized learning, and research & evaluation to help inform the design and development of rigorous content
- Work with the Director of Content to set instructional design priorities, content specifications, and quality standards
- Support the Director of Content in the development of rigorous content in specific grades and subjects, starting with mathematics grade 3-8, on time, at quality, and within budget
- Develop and oversee strategies for testing and revising content based on customer feedback and learning outcome data
- Evaluate and establish relationships with third-party publishers
- Ensure collaboration and knowledge-sharing between Content and Professional Learning teams to enhance the quality of PowerMyLearning’s service offerings
- Collaborate with leadership in fundraising efforts to support and expand content strategy efforts
REQUIRED CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
- 10+ years of work experience in K-12 education
- 5+ years leading digital content teams and strong knowledge of elementary/middle curriculum market
- A Masters or Ph.D. in instructional design, learning science, mathematics education, or related area
- Deep understanding of student learning standards (including Common Core State Standards & Next Generation Science Standards), assessments, and professional teaching standards
- Outstanding presentation and group facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow you to learn from and leverage the experiences of your colleagues and the educators we aim to serve.
- Keen interest in instructional design trends and commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Passionate about closing the achievement gap and creating learning opportunities for children through the use of technology
- Exceptional problem-solving skills; evidence of success discerning what is important vs. urgent and prioritizing for maximum efficiency
- Strong staff management skills and with the ability to foster a sense of team accountability and high performance
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced organization
- Positive attitude and sense of humor
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. PowerMyLearning also offers medical and dental insurance with an employee contribution.
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following conventions:
Subject line: Director of Instructional Design
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PowerMyLearning is an equal opportunity employer. PowerMyLearning strives to practice and champion inclusiveness in our communities, and we aim to honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all members of our communities. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
6 or more years
PowerMyLearning is a national non-profit that leverages technology to strengthen the learning relationships among students, teachers, and families so that all students can succeed. Our work fosters growth in teachers as instructional leaders, in parents as support partners, and in students as learners who can meet the challenge of high academic standards. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school hubs to provide teachers with coaching and students and parents with devices and training. Underlying our work is our free web platform, PowerMyLearning Connect, already in use in more than 40% of school communities nationwide. We have demonstrated impact on student achievement and love of learning; teacher instructional practices; and parental confidence.