Coding Instructor and Curriculum Developer
9 Dots - Los Angeles, CA - Full time
9 Dots is seeking a passionate teacher who is interested in bringing high quality coding curriculum to underserved students. As an instructor, you will support coding education in two spaces, in our learning center during weekends/summer and in classrooms at our partner schools. As a curriculum developer, you will work with our research and education teams to build K-8 curriculum that promotes coding fundamentals and builds students’ resiliency to failure.
- 40% teaching and coaching
- 40% curriculum development
- 20% skill building (coding and web development)
Teaching and Coaching
- Design professional development materials and lessons for undergraduate CS majors starting out as instructors in our summer and weekend coding workshops
- Lead professional development sessions with our coding instructors
- Collaborate with the research team to iterate professional development materials throughout the life of the research project
- Digest newest theory and research findings in STEM professional development and modify them to be used effectively in informal learning spaces
- Give instructors constructive feedback during and after their lessons, and sustain a culture where instructors reflect conscientiously on their own teaching practice
- Develop coding curriculum for middle school students in our summer and weekend coding workshops
- Assess the effectiveness of early-draft lesson plans, get feedback from the 9 Dots coding curriculum team, and iterate the curriculum over time
- Work closely with the software team to align our coding software with the curriculum
- Collaborate with the research team to modify curriculum based on ongoing research findings
- Continue to develop your own coding practice with online tutorials
- Contribute to 9 Dots’ coding education software
- Deeply believe in our mission
- 2+ years of teaching experience at the elementary or middle school level
- A personal and professional commitment to achieving social justice through education
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Completes work seamlessly and independently
- Strong self-manager, strong executor and proactive communicator
- Curriculum development experience
- Experience with webbased coding educational tools, such as code.org, Scratch, etc.
- Experience in front end web development
- Los Angeles
- Salary and full health care
- 25 days PTO
- Flexible schedule
- A position at a nimble and growing organization
- Open and collaborative environment
- Please email your resume with a cover letter to Josh Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application is due by November 15.
less than 1 year
9 Dots is growing its K-8 coding initiatives that give students access to an incredible computer science education. These initiatives address shortcomings in modern public education that leave low income students at a serious disadvantage in a 21st century economy where jobs in computing are growing faster and paying better than any other field. This work is partially supported by a National Science Foundation grant and involves researchers from UCLA and UC Berkeley working with us to develop effective professional development, curriculum, and software to support students’ coding education.