EducationSuperHighway - San Francisco, CA - Full time
The District Network Consultant is at the heart of our mission: your technical expertise is what will make it possible to upgrade the technology infrastructure of school districts so that all students can take advantage of the promise of digital learning. You will work directly with technology leaders within states and districts as well as with a range of service providers and OEMs to help define Internet, WAN, LAN and wireless network designs for schools. You will support school districts across the country as they plan, procure and implement upgrades. Working within a consulting team, your expertise in network engineering will ensure school districts upgrade to the best possible technologies, in the best possible way. You'll be joining a team with many projects and programs under development, providing significant opportunity for growth, specialization, and project ownership. We’re looking for someone who’s excited about pursuing our ambitious non-profit mission while working at an innovative, fast-moving, small tech startup pace.
- Minimum of 5 years hands-on experience implementing and managing WAN, LAN, and WLAN networks
- Understanding of high level network architecture and design with an emphasis on multi-site networks and Internet Knowledge of communications hardware such as routers, switches, firewalls and Access Points
- Knowledge of the communications hardware manufacturer and vendor landscape
- At least CCNA level knowledge of OSPF, HSRP/VRRP, VLAN's, STP and other routing/switching protocols and concepts
- Experience with network security, monitoring, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Ability to explain and document networking concepts and trade-offs to a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- If you come from a consulting background, you look forward to a fast paced workplace without the pressure to hit a billable hours target.
- You enjoy working without the pressure of being on call and without the stress of keeping a large production network running
- Experience working in a IT/network consulting role
- Experience in telecommunications (fixed or wireless)
- Experience in fiber network planning, procurement, and implementation.
- Experience with networking in an education, nonprofit, or local government context.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and experience. Please note that resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered. EducationSuperHighway is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
3 or more years
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 42 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.