The Director of Development will lead the strategy and execution of PowerMyLearning’s fundraising efforts in the New York City Region to support our five-year strategic growth plan. Currently, the New York City Region has a budget of approximately $1.5M, including philanthropy, Fee for Service revenue and in-kind donations. The Director of Development will supervise the Development and School Partnership Associate to expand our visibility in New York City, and will collaborate with development staff in PowerMyLearning’s other regions and National team to ensure organizational alignment on fundraising efforts. The Director of Development reports to the Managing Director, New York City Region.
Drive Development Efforts
- Develop and execute an annual and long-term strategic fundraising plan for PowerMyLearning’s New York City Region, in line with our five-year strategic growth plan
- Meet and exceed fundraising goals that enable PowerMyLearning to grow our impact and be self-sustaining as a region within the national PowerMyLearning organization
- Build and manage relationships with funders that yield increased revenue for PowerMyLearning, involving the Managing Director and other leaders where appropriate
- Identify new opportunities (major gifts, board member prospects, foundation grants, corporate gifts, and government opportunities) and work with colleagues to conduct research and manage workflow processes
- Maximize revenue from government opportunities including New York City Council and other city and state government entities
- Work alongside the Managing Director to grow the New York City Regional Board, determine how the Board can best be engaged, and plan and execute quarterly board meetings
- Raise funding and awareness via events, including by working the New York City Regional Board to secure sponsors and ticket sales for PowerMyLearning’s annual event in June
- Leverage volunteers and volunteer opportunities to cultivate supporters of the organization
- Identify and secure in-kind donations of laptops and other equipment
- Ensure strong communications with funders and potential funders
- Maintain strong records of relationships and progress on funding opportunities in the Salesforce database
Ensure a High-Performing Team
- Provide guidance and supervision to the Development and School Partnership Associate
- Manage up, by being proactive and keeping manager informed of changing priorities
- Actively solicit positive and constructive feedback from manager and other team members
- Model and hold others accountable to a strong team culture that is aligned with our values
- Serve as a model senior leader of the New York City Region; participate in strategy conversations as needed
- Understand and communicate PowerMyLearning’s mission effectively
- Handle confidential and non-routine information with sensitivity
- Passion for PowerMyLearning’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of demonstrated experience and success in all aspects of development and/or fundraising
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Strong ability to prioritize and manage up
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to rapid change
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Proven skills managing multiple details
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal oversight
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) databases
- Fundraising experience in education-related organizations
- Proficiency in Salesforce
- Experience managing part-time or full-time staff
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience. PowerMyLearning also offers a generous benefits package.
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, to jobs@PowerMyLearning.org using the conventions below. Due to the volume of applicants, applications that are submitted incorrectly will not be reviewed.
Subject line: NYC Director of Development
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PowerMyLearning is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
3 or more years
PowerMyLearning is a national non‐profit that leverages technology to strengthen the learning relationships among students, teachers, and families so that all students can succeed. Our work fosters growth in teachers as instructional leaders, in parents as support partners, and in students as learners who can meet the challenge of high academic standards.
We partner with schools, districts, and after‐school hubs to provide teachers with coaching and students and parents with devices and training. Underlying our work is our free web platform, PowerMyLearning Connect, already in use in more than 40% of school communities nationwide. We have demonstrated impact on student achievement and love of learning; teacher instructional practices; and parental confidence.