Full Stack Software Engineer
Match Education - Boston, MA - Full time
Position:Match Export - Full-Stack Software Engineer
Location: Boston, MA
Start date: December 2016
About Match Education and Match Export
Match Education (www.matcheducation.org) is the shared brand name of Match Charter Public School, The Match School Foundation, Inc., and The Sposato Graduate School of Education®. Match Education is an engine of discovery and applied innovation in education. We operate high-performing urban public charter schools and a unique graduate school of education that trains teachers for high-poverty schools. Out of this applied work, we refine, validate empirically, and eventually disseminate new ideas and practices on core questions in education reform. (For a video snapshot, please click here.)
Match Export is a division of Match Education that focuses on sharing best practices and lessons learned. Match Export seeks to scale Match’s impact by broadly sharing our knowledge base with educators and policymakers across the country through innovative, engaging, interactive knowledge products. Our current products include:
- Match Minis (www.matchminis.org) are bite-sized, entertaining 3-to-5 minute animated videos that share what we have learned about teaching and teacher training.
- Match Fishtank (www.matchfishtank.org) is our effort to share the curriculum materials we use in our schools —for free—with other teachers and instructional leaders. Over time we will put all of Match’s curriculum materials for math and ELA from Kindergarten to 12th grade on-line for public access. Currently we have three courses on-line.
- Match Workshops (www.matchexport.org/workshops) are designed for teachers, instructional coaches and school leaders to build new skills, acquire helpful tools and resources, and learn about key practices we have refined through our work running high-performing schools and training effective teachers. These 1-2 day workshops take place in Boston and are led by our most experienced school leaders, coaches and teachers
Overview of Role
As part of its mission to share best practices, Match Export is creating web applications and tools to offer videos, curriculum and other content to a diverse audience of educators. The Full-Stack Software Engineer will be solely responsible for the ongoing development, maintenance, deployment and operations of these software products. The Full-Stack Software Engineer will work closely with the entire Export team, gathering requirements and ensuring that the products developed meet the needs of both Match and its users.
In addition to the Export products, the Full-Stack Software Engineer will devote a certain percentage of time to work on internal tools for Match’s other divisions, including its K-12 school, its graduate school, and its hybrid college/jobs program. These projects can range from nightly batch processes to data integration between student information systems to staff dashboards. The combination of different projects will offer an opportunity for the Full-Stack Software Engineer to get involved with all aspects of Match Education.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Scoping and Planning: Meet with the Export team, as well as stakeholders from Match’s schools and other departments to scope and prioritize new development work.
- Development: Implement and test new features for existing Minis and Fishtank products. Develop new greenfield products using technologies deemed most appropriate.
- Deployment and Operations: Deploy products smoothly, ensure uptime, and monitor overall performance and user experience. Respond to quickly to incidents and explain impact & troubleshooting steps to the team.
- Guidance: Share knowledge of the web, software development, and technical best practices with non-technical staff to help guide decision-making.
- Manage Services: When appropriate, identify the need for external services and products, and manage relationship, work and expenses.
- Strong belief in Match’s mission to develop and disseminate best practices in education reform
- At least 2 years of work experience developing web applications with Django and Python.
- Extensive knowledge of relational database design, SQL, and modeling/normalization best practices
- Knowledge of core DevOps concepts, PAAS deployment, and production-ready development
- Experience exploring, learning, and taking ownership of existing codebases
- Comfort with Git, Github, and VCS best practices.
- An eye for design and good UI/UX practices
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional time management skills and self-direction.
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team with a start-up mindset
- Ability to work directly with non-technical staff
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
1 to 5 years
Match Education (www.matcheducation.org) is the shared brand name of Match Charter Public School, The Match School Foundation, Inc., and The Sposato Graduate School of Education®. Match Education is an engine of discovery and applied innovation in education. We operate high-performing urban public charter schools and a unique graduate school of education that trains teachers for high-poverty schools. Out of this applied work, we refine, validate empirically, and eventually disseminate new ideas and practices on core questions in education reform.