Classroom Inc. - New York, NY - Full time
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Development Manager will work closely with the President and Director of Development to support and advance the work of Classroom, Inc.’s Development Department, which raises approximately $4 million annually in contributions annually from foundations, corporations, and individuals.
This is a key position within a small department. The position requires an exceptional writing ability, keen attention to detail, and a focus on fostering collaboration across departments through well-executed internal processes. The ideal candidate will be a high energy self-starter with a strong commitment to an organization that is poised for growth.
- Lead the creation and editing of development communications, including writing grant proposals, reports, letters of inquiry, presentations, correspondence, annual and spring appeals, acknowledgement letters, website and annual report copy, and additional materials as needed.
- Consistently and proactively seek out ways to improve the quality and creativity of development communications.
- Develop strategy for growing Classroom Inc.’s institutional revenue, including identifying and researching prospective foundation and corporate funders.
- Explore government funding opportunities at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Collaborate with staff from across departments—in particular leadership, partnerships, finance, and research—to gather information, create strategy, and ensure all requirements and deadlines are met.
- Manage internal processes for tracking grant deliverables, including leading monthly cross-departmental meetings, updating Salesforce with deadlines and project management status, and ensuring proposal and report creation process is inclusive and collaborative; serve as the organizational expert on foundation donors and grants.
- Stay up-to-date on trends in philanthropy, education reform, and edtech.
- Support general departmental needs, such as preparing for special events or donor meetings, as needed.
- Passion for Classroom, Inc.’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent writing skills, with three to five years of grant writing and management experience
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Tech-savvy, organized, and incredibly detail-oriented
- Entrepreneurial, with flexibility to learn and adapt quickly
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and conducting online research
- Familiarity with database functionality
- Advanced degree
- Experience at an education or youth development-related organization in New York City
- Experience with Salesforce
Normal business hours (9:00am to 5:00pm) with the occasional evening / weekend, as needed to meet deadlines.
Medical, dental, vision, 403B retirement plan, life insurance, short & long-term disability, flex spending account, transit check, paid time off, exposure to a team that values autonomy and support, and a chance to positively impact student outcomes
3 to 5 years
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Classroom, Inc. is a nonprofit educational organization whose mission is to close the academic achievement gap by using technology and the world of work to engage, teach, inspire, and empower high poverty middle and high school students. For 25 years, we’ve created digital learning games that make authentic connections between school, college, and career using a blended learning model focusing on vocational aspirations. Students take on decision-making roles as professionals in a simulated workplace while improving literacy, 21st century skills, confidence, and engagement. We also provide educators across the country with professional development to effectively use our programs and leverage technology. Our learning games are successfully used in school, extended day, afterschool, and summer school environments. As the result of two Gates Foundation grants and support from our board of directors and other donors, we are developing middle school game-based curriculum, with embedded assessments and robust teacher supports, that addresses the call for highly engaging, rigorous literacy programs designed to the Common Core State Standards. At Classroom, Inc. we believe that educators need effective tools, deeply engaging content, and continuous support to give all students the opportunity to succeed in school, work, and life.
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to JobID50101@classroominc.org with "Development Manager" in the subject.