Director of Learner Experience
Philanthropy University - Oakland, CA - Full time
Scion Executive Search has been retained to lead the search for a full-time Director of Learner Experience for Philanthropy University (http://philanthropyu.org), a nonprofit online education initiative striving to redefine philanthropy and social impact in emerging economies abroad. This exciting position leads an expanding effort to reach nonprofit leaders and their communities across the globe by offering free online courses to educate and deepen impact. This full-time role is located onsite in the organization’s Oakland, CA office.
THE JOB AND WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
The Director of Learner Experience will be responsible for the entire user journey across community management, learner success, and pedagogy functions, ensuring that these areas are working together towards concrete deliverables that result in a unified, transformative product experience for users.
- Own learner’s product experience: own the online learner experience end-to-end, from first enrollment to accessing higher-touch support services and funding.
- Coordinate across the learner experience team: coordinate across learner success, course community and pedagogy functions, driving each team’s quarterly KPIs; determine if/when additional resources are needed and make corresponding budget requests.
- Develop and execute learner experience strategy: work closely with Measurement and Evaluation team to develop high-level team strategy. Relentlessly execute on these goals and hit quarterly KPIs.
- Manage external stakeholders: work with key local and international partners to define approaches to sourcing the content that users need and offering them high-touch support.
Some questions to think about for this role:
- What is the ideal end-to-end online product experience for users?
- How can I make the different elements of the user experience (online courses, funding, high-touch support) more unified and holistic?
- How do we delight users and increase completion rates?
- How can the learner engagement funnel be optimized, and how do I help drive these changes with internal and external stakeholders?
- How else can we leverage our scale to increase the capacity of our users?
- What experiments focused on the learner journey should we be testing on our platform?
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
The Director of Learner Experience is an expert in online learning methods and theories with a background in educational technology product management. S/he has a passion for the Global South and non-profit sector, and an attuned sensitivity to the unique needs of nonprofit/NGO leaders and their beneficiaries across geographies and cultures. An energetic leader who inspires and empowers team members, this person has a proven record of successfully managing multiple stakeholders and building great products. The Director is exceptional at driving teams towards a high-level vision while executing against quarterly goals, thrives in the ambiguity of a startup environment, and approaches all challenges with a relentlessly-positive, solutions-oriented attitude.
- An advanced degree or a combination of education and experience preferred
- 5+ years of learner experience, product management, or related role at a technology-based organization
- Experience building and leading customer-facing teams; proven background in leading and growing teams and managing multiple internal/external stakeholders
- Strong preference for background in scaling services across large groups of users
- Passion for international capacity building and our target users: non-profit leaders in the Global South.
- Strong preference for those with experience working with NGOs or other development organizations
- Exceptional communication and project management abilities
- Solutions-oriented; ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing startup environment and to radiate positivity, even when under pressure
- Exceptional problem solving skills & data-driven strategic thinking
- Great sense of humor
This exciting position offers the opportunity to lead an expanding organization and offers an annual salary of $120K-145K+, depending on experience. Also included are comprehensive benefits including: a full health package of medical, dental, vision, 3 weeks of paid vacation, flex scheduling, a casual start-up vibe, and a job and mission that will inspire you.
For consideration, please send your resume and cover letter to Jillian Joss, Executive Recruiter, below using the subject title: ‘Director of Learner Experience’. *Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
6 or more years
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Cultivated in the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion Executive Search is an equal opportunity service provider committed to not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief. Scion Executive Search is committed to the principals of Equal Opportunity Employment and is dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.
Disclaimer - The statements contained herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the employees in these positions. The statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in each position. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the responsibilities, duties, and skills at any time.