About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking a Data Analyst. The smart use of data has always been vital to ensuring that the New Classrooms’ model Teach To One: Math delivers a personalized math program for each and every student. We combine multiple sources of data into a comprehensive model of whole-student learners, in order to better personalize the learning experience for students and improve outcomes for our partners.
The Data Analyst will be working to interpret/analyze data and transform it into information that informs organization and program strategy. The data analyst will also establish queries and reports used to track that our systems are creating data within expected thresholds, and utilize statistically sound approaches and techniques to answer complex questions about our students, our program and the larger education landscape.
This position is a great opportunity for someone with strong technical skills and intellectual curiosity who is looking to leverage these skills and develop in the area of strategic application of data.
What you would do
- Collect and organize data from multiple sources (traditional relational databases, document-based data stores, 3rd party data files) into coherent, structured repositories that maintain fidelity, consistency, reliability, and availability.
- Apply strong analytical and statistical techniques to complex challenges that our organization sets out to accomplish:
- Work with a team to explore, hypothesize, and perform analytics in service of organizational goals.
- Validate source data in order to identify outliers, understand variances, and establish norms.
- Apply advanced standardized statistical techniques to large data sets to identify insights.
- Collaborate with team members across our organization to understand data needs, produce reports according to documented requirements, and document queries and reports to maximize maintainability and support.
- Effectively communicate analytical results to stakeholders
- Distill large, complex results into relevant, succinct executive summaries.
- Identify and produce appropriate data visualizations that highlight unexpected, complex, or subtle insights.
- You are energized by the opportunity to apply the power of data analytics to the unique complex challenges presented in education environments
- You see beyond the 1s and 0s to the meaning behind the data - you are empathetic, respectful, and vigilantly aware that data and analytics directly impact students and teachers every day
- You have the capacity to thrive in our fast paced, iterative, start-up environment without abandoning your beliefs in accuracy, rigor, completeness, and integrity
- Your experience working with others has taught you that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts, and that collaboration rooted in mutual respect can produce results that go beyond the contributions of any individual
- You can clearly communicate your insights verbally, visually and in writing
What we are looking for
- 2+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with established database management tools: MS SQL server, Postgres, MongoDB, etc.
- Comfort working with unstructured and semi-structured data, such as Excel, Google Sheets, CSV files, JSON, XML, etc.
- Production experience with statistical programming packages (R, Python/Jupyter, SPSS, etc.)
- Practical experience using reporting platforms such as Cognos, Tableau, Periscope, PowerBI, or other data visualization tools.
- Excellent communication skills and strong attention to detail
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Nice to have: comfortable with contemporary machine learning platforms (AzureML, TensorFlow, etc) or with “Big Data” tools (Spark/Storm, Hadoop, HDInsight, etc).
Commensurate with experience
3 to 5 years
About New Classrooms
New Classrooms is a nonprofit organization that leverages classroom design, teacher talent, and technology to enable personalized learning for more than 13,000 students in 40 pioneering schools in 10 states. New Classrooms' first-of-its-kind technology draws from tens of thousands of high quality lessons to create a customized and dynamic curriculum for each student each day. Our flagship instructional model, Teach to One, integrates large group, small group, and individual instruction in ways that enable students to not just learn skills but apply them in real world contexts.
Teach to One grew out of a New York City pilot program called School of One, which TIME magazine named one of the best inventions of 2009. Visit www.newclassrooms.org to learn more about our efforts to unleash a wave of innovation in K-12 education that will dramatically improve outcomes for all students.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that continually looks to match our team members with roles that fit their strengths and interests. We look to bring on new team members who share a deep-seated interest in improving our nation’s schools, solving problems in innovative ways, getting things done in a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment, and growing professionally.