About the Role
The Deputy Director of Recruitment will manage and drive all recruitment efforts at New Classrooms in partnership with the Talent Associate and Senior Director of Talent (hiring manager). In an environment of rapid organizational growth, the Deputy Director will recruit top talent for a wide variety of functions: school operations, technology, academics, product development, business development, fundraising, communications and more. They will also play a lead role in developing and/or implementing the systems and tools for facilitating the management of candidates and support of hiring managers, including implementing a new applicant tracking system and assessment tools and templates. The Deputy Director of Recruitment will develop and expand our proactive candidate sourcing capacity, including the capacity to proactively build diverse candidate pipelines for roles across the organization.
This role represents the opportunity to work with an incredibly dynamic team across all aspects of recruitment and to shape New Classrooms recruitment practices for greater consistency and scalability in the future. As part of a small Talent team in a growing organization with an emergent recruitment capability your ability to have an incredible impact on the future of New Classrooms cannot be overstated!
- You are on your way to being a master recruiter, relentless about securing top talent, resilient in the face of recruiting for hard to fill roles, and smart about hiring for fit (culture and role).
- You may not be a technologist yourself, but you’re interested in keeping up to date on the latest technologies and related emerging professions and roles.
- You are endlessly creative about how to market roles through all possible channels, whether social media, the latest relevant newsletters and job sites or word of mouth.
- You’re a natural networker - you’re always thinking of key connectors and opportunities to build connections and networks of people you might leverage for high quality referrals
- You’re proactive about reaching passive candidates and are able to compel interest in suitable opportunities even when candidates aren’t on the job market
- You have excellent judgment about people - what motivates them, what they value, and who might be a fit for which roles and which teams.
- You’re not worried about how things have always been done, but are constantly on the hunt for new ways of attracting top talent.
- You have a customer support mentality-the hiring managers who’ve worked with you rave about how helpful you have been to them in helping to identify and evaluate top talent.
What you Would Do
- Manage and drive all recruitment efforts at New Classrooms including hiring as many as 40+ full time roles and 20+ contract roles annually as part of a lean and mean talent team of 3.
- Deeply understand the role requirements and team function in order to identify the best possible fit. Where requirements are unclear, partner with hiring teams to define.
- Manage position advertisement--supported by Talent Associate
- Manage and actively recruit for a portfolio of open positions, ensuring the execution of a thoughtful, fair, consistent and speedy recruitment process and excellent and inclusive candidate experience
- Design and implement a standardized (though flexible for different functional and team requirements) recruitment process
- Create and update interviewing resources for hiring managers
- Implement and optimize a new applicant tracking system
- Actively cultivate a pool of prospects for future roles
- Represent New Classrooms at relevant events and forums for attracting candidates
- Expand social media recruitment messages and advertising
- Coach hiring managers around how to leverage their network and the network of their team and how to proactively be building pools of top talent on an ongoing basis
- Provide coaching around best interviewing practices (which you will exemplify)
- How to source for referrals and passive candidates
What We are Looking For
- BA degree required, graduate degree preferred (any disciplines)
- 5-7 years of experience with increasing responsibility in fast paced recruiting environments, ideally with experience recruiting for technical talent
- Demonstrated track record of implementing innovative recruiting practices resulting in hiring of diverse top talent in service of a mission
- Significant experience with proactive sourcing and recruitment practices, either as an executive search consultant or as a recruiter
- Demonstrated passion for/commitment to education and recruitment
Please submit both your cover letter and resume via our online application system. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
6 to 10 years
About New Classrooms
New Classrooms is a nonprofit organization that leverages classroom design, teacher talent, and technology to enable personalized learning for more than 10,000 students in 28 pioneering schools. New Classrooms' first-of-its-kind technology draws from tens of thousands of high quality lessons to create a customized and dynamic curriculum for each student each day. Our flagship instructional model, Teach to One, integrates large group, small group, and individual instruction in ways that enable students to not just learn skills but apply them in real world contexts.
Teach to One grew out of a New York City pilot program called School of One, which TIME magazine named one of the best inventions of 2009. Visit www.newclassrooms.org to learn more about our efforts to unleash a wave of innovation in K-12 education that will dramatically improve outcomes for all students.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that continually looks to match our team members with roles that fit their strengths and interests. We look to bring on new team members who share a deep-seated interest in improving our nation’s schools, solving problems in innovative ways, getting things done in a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment, and growing professionally.