Senior Product Manager, Higher Ed Courseware
Pearson - Boston, MA - Full time
Pearson’s Higher Ed Courseware team is responsible for accelerating Pearson’s transition to a predominantly digitally business--envisioning (and then delivering!) immersive learning experiences that will delight and inspire a new generation of students.
We seek a Senior Product Manager to join a highly collaborative and fast-moving team dedicated to building the next generation of immersive digital learning and practice tools within higher education. These high-intensity, high-profile initiatives will demand a high degree of flexibility and willingness to work hands-on to achieve aggressive near-term release targets with significant market potential.As a product manager, you will be a bridge between the product development organization and the best editorial teams in the educational publishing industry. You will deeply understand the teaching and learning challenges present in today’s college classrooms. You will be responsible for identifying customer problems, ideating, exploring, and building solutions. You’ll lead a cross-functional team to develop and refine products that improve learner outcomes and strengthen and extend our market-leading courseware brands.
Reporting to: Director of Product Management, New Product Models
The Role: This position will lead cross-functional efforts to define and identify, scope, and deliver new products and capabilities within Higher Ed Courseware. You will work with market experts, educators, and learners to extend Pearson’s market-leading technology and content.
As a Senior Product Manager, you will develop an understanding of the end to end lifespan of a courseware product from conception to delivery. Using your understanding of the educator and learner decision-making processes, how they are introduced to the product, the problems it solves, and the must-wins, you will define and prioritize opportunities to improve the value proposition of courseware product offerings. You will track digital content development, ensure it meets product specifications (e.g. accessibility guidelines), and make sure it is fit for purpose. You will launch products, educate and support sales, and how to tell its story. Managing key market timing windows – such as the “back to school” period – will allow you to provide educators and learners with best in class experiences when they need it most.You will review product performance by analyzing data and customer interviews to identify critical workflows, find areas for improvement, and to drive growth. Through your leadership and expertise a cross-functional team will deliver great products that improve learner outcomes and maximize instructor impact.
The Candidate: You are an experienced educational technology product manager capable of working effectively in a rapidly changing market and technology landscape. You are comfortable with ambiguity and balancing risk. Your product development mantras are fail-fast and learn-fast. You possess a deep understanding of the teaching and learning challenges present in today’s global classrooms, and you will work with the best editorial teams in the educational publishing industry to define simple, elegant, and effective product models that address these challenges. You will demonstrate expertise with respect to customers and the competition, exceeding their expectations with the product capabilities you deliver.
- Manage a portfolio of products at different stages in the product lifecycle
- Working with market and discipline experts, identify gaps in the catalog and define solutions that leverage our expertise in content development, learning design, efficacy, and technology
- For in-market products, iterate on content, design, and feature capabilities to constantly improve
- For under-performing or mature products, develop and oversee detailed end-of-life plans
- Collect and synthesize market insights from colleagues and customerconversations to develop deep discipline knowledge
- Validate perceived pain points and solutions with educators and learners
- Perform frequent competitive analysis, determining publishing and launch cycles, feature focus, competitive differentiation, and cross-discipline applicability
- Act as a voice of the customer throughout the product development process
- Validate that technology solutions meet the customer need
- Contribute to category and product model strategy by providing clear analysis of the disciplines in your area of focus including trends in teaching, technology, and course offerings
- Own and deliver on key product measurements including financial goals, product contribution, NPS scores, digital registration growth, etc.
Champion brand values
- Ensure that new products align to courseware value propositions and that content and features align to deliver the expected learner outcomes
- Leverage customer feedback, support calls, and other data to drive iterative improvement
- Drive pre- and post-release validation activities to ensure releases (expected or actual) deliver on their value propositions
- Have in depth knowledge of existing products and competition, monitor performance, and identify enhancement opportunities based on industry research/trends, market and customer insight, analytics, focus groups and emerging technology
Prioritize software development activities
- Lead collection and synthesis of customer feedback to inform courseware product roadmaps
- Collaborate with other Product Managers on themes and problems to be solved across disciplines
- Contribute data driven recommendations for features, products and content to deprecate or sunset
Align software and content development activities
- Support alignment of roadmap epics to learner outcomes and weighting epics for impact on learning prior to Weighted Shortest Job First (WSJF) prioritization
- Partner with Capability Product Managers to develop requirements and acceptance criteria
- Accountable for making sure software and content development dependencies are synchronized end to end to ensure successful delivery
Skills and personal qualities
- Ability to hit the ground running – a confident self-starter, who can manage through influence
- Ability to translate customer needs and financial goals into product deliverables
- Experience synthesizing customer inputs into a high-level roadmap that maximizes business value
- Experience in working with a highly experienced cross-functional team on established products
- Product development or product marketing experience in publishing tools (print or digital), digital learning applications, eBooks, or other educational technologies
- Passion for education, technology, and building immersive learning experiences
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, find creative solutions and drive for results
- Track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles and limited resources
- Ability to lead within cross-functional virtual teams spanning multiple regions and cultures
- Outstanding writing and presentation skills
- Ability to travel (up to 15%)
6 to 10 years
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities,women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.