Khan Lab School Intern (Extended Day)
Khan Lab School - Mountain View, CA - Part time
INTERN (EXTENDED DAY) SCHOOL RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the intern is to support students during the Extended Day program. This position reports to the Extended Day Coordinator.
The responsibilities of the Extended Day Intern include providing direct care for children; planning and implementing developmentally appropriate learning activities designed to meet the social-emotional, cognitive, creative, and physical needs of children in a particular program; collaborating with other staff members; communicating with parents; and providing a child-centered, safe environment for children to grow and learn, in accordance with the goals and policies of KLS.
- Planning, Preparing, and Reflecting
- Participates in regular Extended Day meetings (at least monthly with Extended Day Coordinator).
- Collaborates in exchanging ideas, information, knowledge, and skills with other staff in the areas of planning, preparing, and reflecting.
- Collaborates actively with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of programs.
- Plans, creates, and organizes a recreation program, including arts and crafts, physical activities, and special-interest activities.
- Plans short- and long-range goals with other staff.
- The Environment and Student Learning
- Interacts appropriately with children during all phases of the day (including planned and unplanned activities, breaks, and transitions) in a warm, accepting, and nurturing way.
- Interacts with each child with an awareness of his or her needs, cultural background, developmental level and family structure.
- Encourages children to be as self-sufficient as possible.
- Oversees goal time and guides children as necessary. Communicates with Lead Advisor should difficulties arise.
- Guides children's growth in the areas of social-emotional development, problem solving, self-help skills, language and communication, intellectual development, large and small motor skills, creativity, and imagination.
- Provides consistent and positive limits and expectations, and uses positive child-guidance techniques.
- Oversees the entire classroom or group situation.
- Maintains the room in an attractive, clean, and safe manner to ensure a conducive learning and playing environment. Each night, prepares the room for the next day, putting everything away and locking all windows, doors, and gates.
- Ensures the health and safety of the children: maintains knowledge of and administers first aid; responds to emergencies; knows and executes fire drill/earthquake procedures; dispenses and records medications; and reports accidents or incidents according to KLS procedures.
- Communicates with parents on a regular basis through conversation, the logs and newsletters, for the purpose of exchanging information, maintaining a positive rapport and relationship between home and Extended Day, and encouraging parent involvement in the school.
- Meets with parents when requested or initiates a meeting if necessary.
- Other Professional Responsibilities
- Helps maintain common areas in the school.
- Maintains professional, respectful, and cooperative relationships with all co-workers.
- Serves as an ongoing mentor and model to new staff.
- Fulfills in-service/continuing education requirements.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all school staff, children, and families.
- Works at daily assigned times. This may include full-day coverage during school breaks and professional days, although typical hours are 3:00 - 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Maintains all emergency forms in binder, updating as necessary; checks for and posts children’s allergies.
- Assures that all the children are signed in and out on a daily basis.
- Assures that children are supervised at all times.
- Reports observations and incidents (e.g., discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate personnel.
- Complies with all KLS policies, checklists, procedures, and administrative directions, as instructed by the supervisor.
- Have at least 2+ years experience working with school-aged students in an academic environment
- Possess or is in the process of obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Education or equivalent
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results
- Prior experience with or a desire to teach in a setting that values giving up control and allowing students to make mistakes and gain maturity and self-motivation through independence
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social-emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in start-up mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Multilingual and international experience
- Experience working with elementary and middle school students
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- This internship is unpaid
- Daily, Monday through Friday
- 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.: Support in classroom and transition (pick-up support)
- 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.: Tutoring and supervising students in Extended Day and pick-up support
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Khan Lab School is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas. We are also planning to offer original visa sponsorship.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.
1 to 2 years
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
We currently serve 95 students ages 5-14 in Mountain View, California. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.