Salem Academy Charter School - Salem, MA - Full time
Founded in 2004, Salem Academy Charter School serves the diverse population of Salem Massachusetts with over 400 students enrolled in grades 6 through 12. As one of the highest performing charter schools in the state of Massachusetts, Salem Academy Charter School boasts an impressive track record of considerable growth, demonstrated success, and financial stability. Since the school’s first graduating class in 2009, 100% of Salem Academy students have been accepted to college.
Students and staff at Salem Academy embrace the belief that each student is capable of success when held to high expectations and provided with individualized attention, academic rigor, standards-based grading to facilitate real-time data-based decision making, structure and positive school culture. The school offers a unique combination of college preparatory classes and a focus on service learning in order to meet their mission of graduating informed, articulate, and proactive individuals of strong character.
While continuing to expand student enrollment, Salem Academy is also in the midst of an exciting plan to expand their enrichment offerings through the addition of a state-of-the-art performing arts center and a new gymnasium. With an experienced, accomplished and highly dedicated staff and faculty, Salem Academy is poised to build upon its strong foundation of academic success and further pursue excellence in all aspects of its model, emerging as a compelling proof point for the broader education landscape. For more information about the school, visit www.salemacademycs.org.
As the school completes its twelfth year of operation, Sean O’Neil, the school’s Executive Director, will retire after over a decade of service. The organization is thus seeking an experienced executive to lead it into its next chapter of growth and success. The next Executive Director will be responsible for the organization’s success in meeting its instructional, school culture, operations, fundraising, external relations and financial management goals. S/he will serve as an external ambassador and champion for the school with key strategic audiences including the Board of Trustees, philanthropic partners, state chartering authorities, the city of Salem school district, the surrounding community, and other partners. In addition, this person will ultimately be responsible for the business operations of the school.
The ideal Executive Director will demonstrate exceptional relationship management and communication skills with a diverse group of audiences (parents, staff, students, district officials and community partners). S/he will also strengthen and support maintaining a strong school culture that embodies the school’s REACH (responsible, empathetic, assertive, cooperative and honest) norms for both students and staff. As a culturally competent and a self-reflective leader, the Executive Director will understand the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, and other dividing issues in our society and ensure that all Salem Academy students have an opportunity to achieve their dreams of college and career success. Adept at finance and school operations, decision-making, and embracing a high level of accountability, the Executive Director will hold a deep belief in the charter school movement and a roll-up your sleeves attitude reflective of the culture at Salem Academy.
The Executive Director’s key responsibilities include:
- Leading the vision for Salem Academy Charter Schools’ success, including ensuring that school operations, the instructional program, school culture and climate, community engagement, and external partnerships are highly effective and tightly aligned to the school mission and goals;
- Managing senior staff, acting not only as a supervisor but also as a coach and consensus builder, remaining deeply committed to the values of developing and bringing out the strengths of Salem Academy’s people while holding them accountable for their goals and desired outcomes;
- Partnering with the Board of Directors, community stakeholders and funders to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to maintain the health of the organization, remaining solution-oriented and grounded in reality as needed while pushing the boundaries of what is possible to realize the highest levels of success for all students and their families;
- Ensuring the school’s long-term viability through prudent and attentive management, which encompasses maintaining financial liability, upholding compliance with state charter requirements, and overseeing seamless school operations;
- Inspiring students, faculty, families, and other partners to be their best selves every day, and keeping a focus at all times on what is best for Salem Academy’s scholars, their families and community, and their futures.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Executive Director will be:
- An accomplished leader with at least 15-20 years of experience in education reform, preferably in a charter school environment, with a minimum of 5-7 years of demonstrated success as a school-based administrator, non-profit executive and/or senior manager in a variety of settings;
- An eExceptional people manager, with direct experience supervising a team of at least five staff, including leadership level staff, and a proven ability to manage teams toward exceptional performance;
- Strong talent development skill-set with a track record of providing frequent real-time feedback, coaching, and support to direct reports;
- Strategic mindset with the ability to align resources to mission and strategy, delegate and leverage resources wisely, prioritize and re-prioritize on an ongoing basis, and adapt these plans on an as-needed basis as crises and unexpected circumstances arise;
- Ability to forge strong partnerships and relationships with both internal and external stakeholders including Boards of Directors, philanthropic partners, school district officials, parents and students;
- Superior written, verbal and presentation communication skills with the ability to read audiences, adapt communication styles as appropriate, and resonate with different audiences;
- Collaborative leadership style with a propensity to engage key stakeholders in decisions, leverage input from diverse groups, and build consensus and support effectively across the school community;
- Proven propensity to problem-solve through operational and logistical challenges as needed;
- Energizing and motivational personality with proven ability to inspire and engage others toward action;
- Spanish language skills highly preferred.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter addressed to the Salem Academy Executive Director Search Committee online at goo.gl/6uXfzn. For additional questions or more information, feel free to contact Allison Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-903-7366.
Salem Academy Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
11 or more years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.