Value Schools - Los Angeles, CA - Full time
Value Schools is seeking a seasoned manager and visionary leader with a passion for the organization’s mission and values-based approach to guide it to its next chapter of development. This new CEO will be primarily responsible for managing and supporting Value Schools’ principals and central office leaders while also serving as the primary liaison between the charter management organization (CMO) and its external audiences. S/he will guide Value Schools in its growth from four schools to at least six and possibly more campuses throughout the Los Angeles region. S/he will help Value Schools create further proof points demonstrating that the five values that bond all stakeholders together are essential elements to ensuring students’ academic, career and life success.
The ideal CEO candidate will be an effective leader and experienced manager of managers with: an eye for recruiting and retaining high-quality talent; a knack for strategic planning and prioritizing; a passion for educational equity; an understanding of high-quality instructional practice; the ability to foster relationships with a diverse array of constituents; and the ability to build and maintain high-functioning systems across a complex, multi-site organization. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and experience working with similar communities to those that Value Schools serves are also essential to success in this role.
The CEO’s key responsibilities include:
- Leading the vision for Value Schools’ success, including ensuring that its academic programs, school cultures, community engagement, and external partnerships are highly effective and tightly aligned to the CMO’s mission and goals;
- Managing principals and other senior staff, acting not only as a supervisor but also as a coach and consensus builder, remaining deeply committed to developing and bringing out the strengths of all of Value Schools’ people while holding them accountable for their goals and desired student outcomes;
- Partnering with the Board of Directors and funders to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to maintain the health of the school, remaining solutions-oriented while pushing the boundaries of what is possible to realize the highest levels of success for all students and their communities;
- Inspiring students, faculty, families, and other partners to be their best selves every day, always keeping the community’s moral, ethical and artistic compass pointing in the right direction and ensuring an unyielding focus at all times on what is best for Value Schools’ scholars, their families and community, and their futures.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal CEO will be:
- An accomplished, seasoned leader (preferably in the charter school sector), with a minimum of 10 years demonstrated success as a school-based administrator, nonprofit executive and/or senior manager in a variety of settings.
- Inspiring in their management style, with experience leading leaders; one who sees the possibility in all adults and is willing to devote time to coach and develop them while holding them accountable to measurable results.
- Experienced in overseeing a multi-site organization, knowledgeable about best practices around school growth and programmatic expansion and possessing a mindset centered around innovation and creative problem solving.
- Culturally competent and a self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, and other issues of difference in our society and has personally worked in similar urban communities to ensure all students have an opportunity to achieve their personal dreams of college and career success.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization; able to focus on big picture priorities while not losing sight of the details.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in fundraising to support the financial health and sustainability of a growing school-based organization; capital campaign experience a plus.
- Dynamic and versatile, able to engage a variety of individuals and speak in a clear, compelling, and authentic manner about the organization’s goals and priorities.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter addressed to the Value Schools CEO Search Committee below. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Christina Legg Greenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510.575.9635.
11 or more years
Value Schools is a Los Angeles-based charter management organization that oversees four schools (two serving grades K-8 and two high schools) in and around the downtown area of Los Angeles. Since its founding in 2002 with the opening of their first elementary campus, Downtown Value School, the organization has been based on the mission of establishing and supporting high quality, values-based elementary and secondary charter schools for populations of students who have historically been underserved by the public school system. In addition, everyone at Value Schools is guided by the following five Core Values:
- Academic excellence is the means to a full life.
- Each student can develop to his or her fullest potential.
- Each individual is unique and deserves respect.
- A safe, nurturing community is essential to academic excellence.
- Service to others and the community is a responsibility of an educated person.
Value Schools is on its way to ensuring all its students attend and complete college. Among its schools, more than 95% of students are low-income and 98% are Latino; almost all would be the first in their families to complete college. This year, 97% of seniors in its high schools are on track to receive their diploma, 98% of graduates will be attending college, with 63% attending 4-year colleges and universities. The organization also has an exciting growth trajectory in mind, with the goal of growing from four to six or more school campuses in the coming years, and a desire to further the level of innovation in its instructional practices. For more information, please visit www.valueschools.com.