Education For Change Public Schools - Oakland, CA - Full time
Latitude 37.8 High School seeks a passionate and experienced educational leader to lead the design and development of a next generation high school as its Founding Principal. The Founding Principal will be responsible for developing a school program that seeks to facilitate authentic learning experiences that address the unique social and academic needs of all learners.The Founding Principal will be a keeper of the vision, and an instructional leader of the school. The Founding Principal will model effective leadership defined by integrity, clear and open communication, fairness, and an understanding of the needs and interests of a diverse urban community. The ideal candidate for this position possesses the following beliefs, mindsets and characteristics:
- Belief that building strong and caring relationships with students and adults is the foundation upon which a successful school is built.
- Deep commitment to positive youth development and an unwavering faith in the potential of every student.
- Fundamental belief that every student has the ability to design their own path to success in the post-secondary world.
- Values the design and implementation of authentic problem-based/project-based learning experiences and performance assessments.
- Commitment to implement a CCSS-aligned, competency-based approach.
- Strong technology skills and the belief in using a one-to-one model to support personalized learning for students.
- Comfort with utilizing multiple types of data to inform instruction.
- Comfort with change, iteration and ambiguity.
- A growth mindset, understanding that failure is the path to success.
- Commitment to working on personal growth and continuous learning.
- Commitment to collaborate and design with community and business partners.
- Willingness to challenge traditional mindsets and beliefs about what school is and what school is not.
- Willingness to contribute to a collaborative culture that challenges and supports each other.
This position starts in January 2017 and will be responsible for the planning and execution of a pilot program in 2017-2018 to inform the launch of our first full cohort of students in the fall of 2018.
About Latitude High School
Latitude High 37.8 is a high school model in which students leverage the assets and resources in their city to design and secure the experiences, education and network they need to be prepared for a meaningful and productive life. We are a network of educators, designers, makers, artists, parents, students, civic leaders, and business leaders committed to designing and opening a high school that facilitates self-directed, passion-driven learning for our city's youth - one where the Bay Area is their personalized learning environment. Latitude High will begin with a pilot program during the 2017-2018 school year and launch its first cohort of students in the fall of 2018. Additional information about Latitude 37.8 High School can be found at tinyurl.com/latitudehs.
About Education for Change Public Schools
Education for Change Public Schools (EFCPS) believes it is the right for every child to have access to a high-quality, 21st century education. Our mission is to provide a superior public education to Oakland’s most underserved children by creating a system of schools that focuses relentlessly on our student’s academic achievement. EFCPS is a charter management organization that manages a diverse portfolio of K-8 schools, growing to a portfolio of preK-12 schools in the Fruitvale and Elmhurst neighborhoods of Oakland, currently serving over 3,000 children. Additional information about Education for Change can be found at www.efcps.org.
- Develop the instructional model and academic culture for the school
- Develop, refine and facilitate the implementation of the school’s academic program.
- Facilitate the establishment of Latitude’s competency model and aligned assessment system.
- Lead the creation and implementation of a positive school culture program that reflects the principles of positive youth development.
- Work with faculty and staff to create a consistent and comprehensive focus on character, leadership and exemplary behavior.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the post-secondary and community based learning programs.
- Build and maintain strong ties to students.
- Collaborate closely with other school leaders to plan and prepare for academic, social, fiscal and other transition issues.
- Lead the institutional focus on student achievement
- Ensure an integrated, inquiry-based curricular approach that prepares students for the world of work and post-secondary education.
- Utilize an accountability/data system that allows teachers, students and parents to know what students have learned and what further work is required.
- Regularly assess and address the potential for gaps between what the school is accomplishing academically, versus what is desired.
- Review all test data and ensure that the program leads to strong individual student growth on a variety of assessment measures.
- Inspire, Train and Retain an Excellent High School Faculty
- Advance a school culture that maintains a relentless focus on motivating students to achieve personal and academic growth and encourages collaboration to meet the full range of student needs.
- Lead a hiring process that attracts, recruits and selects high performing staff.
- Utilize a system for the ongoing evaluation of teacher performance, including informal and formal observations, that supports improvement and expects measurable results.
- Support the planning for ongoing quality professional development and performance coaching, with planning time built into the weekly calendar to allow for collaboration with and amongst colleagues.
- Oversee the operation plan for the school and the development of a budget to support all aspects of the plan.
- Lead school site planning and implementation processes; ensure the site budget and the site plan are strategically developed to maximize human, financial, time, and programmatic resources to achieve optimal results
- Manage school budget, ensuring that expenditures are aligned to the school plan, in compliance with restricted and categorical fund restrictions
- Follow all established EFC policies and procedures
- Develop systems, timelines and milestones for completion of initiatives
- Work collaboratively with the Business Operations Manager to ensure that the school site is safe, clean and well maintained
- Develop, lead and manage systems for efficient and efficacious daily operations
- Ensure there is an effective, regular communication system with all staff
- Partners with families, community and the Education for Change team on issues related to school outcomes and operations.
- Skillfully and appropriately involve parents and the community in school activities
- Maintain good community relations and effective, regular communication with parents
- Organize and facilitate a Family Leadership Council; build capacity of family leaders to engage authentically in site planning and high leverage decision-making
- Develop and execute strategy to attract and retain students and families at school site, with the goal of full enrollment with a waiting list
- Function as a collaborative team member (EFC Management Team, Instructional Management Team)
- Effectively collaborate with community partners and leverage community resources for organizational success
- Actively participate in key student events
- The principal is responsible for the administration of the school within the regulations of the Governing Board.
- The principal performs other related duties as assigned.
- Treat each member of the school community with fairness, dignity and respect, seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience, with a minimum of 5 years combined teaching and/or administrative experience.
- Superior grasp of effective instruction for educating urban youth
- Strong people and project management skills with the proven ability to train, supervise and coach professional staff in order to foster a cooperative team environment
- Smart, strategic thinker who can execute on multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Prior experience working within an, entrepreneurial or start-up environment
- Must posses a growth mindset and be able to use feedback to refine practice
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Experience as an Assistant Principal or site leader
- Spanish Bilingual
- Master’s Degree
- Knowledge of the Common Core standards and instructional practices aligned to those standards
- Experience developing and sustaining external partnerships
- Experience integrating technology as a teaching tool
- Strong data analysis skills
- Experience working with English Language Learners
- Experience coaching, mentoring or developing teachers
- Strong community-building skills
- Outstanding communication and organization skills
Compensation and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $95,000-$120,000, depending on experience. EFCPS covers 90% of Medical, Dental, and Vision plan costs and participates in CalSTRS. For further information, email email@example.com.
Application Process: Apply online at www.efcps.org/immediate-openings.
3 or more years
Latitude High 37.8 is a high school model in which students leverage the assets and resources in their city to design and secure the experiences, education and network they need to be prepared for a meaningful and productive life. We are a network of educators, designers, makers, artists, parents, students, civic leaders, and business leaders committed to designing and opening a high school that facilitates self-directed, passion-driven learning for our city's youth - one where the Bay Area is their personalized learning environment. Additional information about Latitude 37.8 High School can be found at tinyurl.com/latitudehs.