Senior Director of Innovation
Transcend - Remote - Full time
The Senior Director of Innovation will have an enormous opportunity to influence the development of innovative school models. This role leads top-notch, diverse teams to design, develop, and build new school models in partnership with school operators. Given that Transcend is a startup, the specific mix of responsibilities will evolve dynamically and in partnership with the rest of the Transcend founding team. Primarily responsibilities will most likely include:
- Lead the hiring, onboarding, and ongoing support of diverse design team members, who each bring unique expertise to a given project – ranging from learning scientists to curriculum experts, to cutting-edge socio-emotional learning specialists to name just a few.
- Shepard vision of school operator through design, development, implementation, and refinement to bring new model aspirations to life.
- Lead daily collaboration of work between Transcend and school operator, in what in practice will be an enmeshed working team between the two organizations.
- Utilize design-thinking methodology to elicit pioneering ideas, and support school operator in making model choices and trade-offs.
- Oversee effective community outreach to capture input from immediate and surrounding school community to inform school model.
- Design with scale in mind; and oversee codification and documentation of model so that it can be replicated elsewhere.
- Support change management process of adopting pioneering practices in new school model.
- Set the tone and tenor of the team to be one that is courageous, inclusive, high performing, and always puts students at the center when making decisions
- Passion for creating innovative, breakthrough new school models that generate unprecedented results for students
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- Entrepreneurial hunger to build, learn, and lead in an ambiguous context.
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams to achieve outstanding results
- Ability to think strategically and execute efficiently in a lean environment.
- Minimum of 7-10 years working / leading in districts and charters or high performing education non-profits, preferably with direct experience with design, innovation, 21st century skills, change management and/or “next generation” school models
- Excellent facilitation and project management skills
- Experience with client relationship management and/or business development
- Key skills required:
- Deep instructional experience
- Project management
- People management
- Collaboration and teamwork, especially in remote/virtual environment
6 or more years
Transcend is a national nonprofit that leads innovation in school design in close partnership with visionary school operators around the country. We focus on innovation in every aspect of the holistic design of schools -- from the aims of school, to students’ experience, to the use of time, to the roles of educators and families and surrounding communities, to physical space, and much more -- to prepare all students for far greater success in the 21st century.
We do this through:
- developing and replicating new school model designs, in close partnership with visionary school operators (in district, charter, and independent schools)
- building a diverse, cross-disciplinary force of talent for the sector, who can perform the deep R&D needed for school innovation
- building and sharing actionable knowledge for the sector on how to do school model innovation and change management
Check out Transcend's website (www.transcendeducation.org) to learn more!