Turnitin is revolutionizing the experience of writing to learn. Turnitin’s formative feedback and originality checking services promote critical thinking, ensure academic integrity and help students improve their writing. Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to engage students in the writing process, provide personalized feedback, and assess student progress over time. Turnitin's applications are used by more than 30 million students at 15,000 institutions in 140 countries. Turnitin is headquartered in Oakland, Calif., with international offices in Newcastle, U.K., Utrecht, Netherlands, Seoul, South Korea and Melbourne, Australia.
The Opportunity:This position is based in Pittsburgh, PA.
Turnitin seeks an experienced Content Specialist to join the Product Management Team in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Content Specialist will be responsible for developing new writing assignments, writing rubrics, and related content for Turnitin Revision Assistant, a tool for providing formative feedback to students in 6-12 grade classrooms. Revision Assistant uses state-of-the-art machine learning to present students with automated comments on their responses to prompt-based writing assignments.
As Revision Assistant needs to grow in the number of prompts it offers, improve the quality of its formative feedback, and develop new ways of providing feedback. The Content Specialist will collaborate with the Curriculum Team to expand the content library, build pedagogically relevant features inside Revision Assistant, and develop new methods for providing feedback to students. Finally, the Content Specialist will research principles of good writing pedagogy and communicate those principles to the product development team.
- Use results from machine learning and natural language processing analyses on student essay data sets to develop templates for formative feedback to students
- Develop new prompts and accompanying rubrics that meet standards in k-12 education
- Use Turnitin machine learning tools to analyze essay sets and determine if they meet agreed upon standards for reliability.
- Work with partners (e.g. curriculum publishers) to integrate their content into the Turnitin system.
- Remain current on writing standards and best practices for teaching writing.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in English or education
- Master’s degree or higher, preferred
- Experience developing writing instruction in secondary or higher education
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Experience teaching writing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to develop and implement feature ideas
- Strong research skills
- Ability to form effective working relationships with internal and external partners
- Ability to set schedules, meet deadlines, and communicate progress
- Knowledge of commercial education sector
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems
- Knowledge of writing pedagogy in international markets or English Language Learning
- Strong mathematical reasoning skills
- Ties to the academic writing community
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or veterans status, domestic partner status, AIDS or HIV status, height, weight, or association with members of a protected class.
3 to 5 years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.