Hack Reactor - San Francisco, CA - Full time
We are looking for a highly creative, personable and talented Counselor to help keep the class running effectively by delivering the program and managing the student experience. You will be the primary student point-of-contact, driving student success, and identifying student success issues & risks.
- Understand how the program works in detail (even though the subject matter may be technical and foreign to you) and the role of different players. Be well versed in program delivery approaches and best practices.
- Manage student experience and program success through class-wide, small group, and individual reflection sessions.
- Stay abreast of the perceptions and feelings and needs of the class. Handle difficult issues such as impostor syndrome, group conflicts, and truancy.
- Accountable for unconditional success for all metrics pertaining to the cohort, including placement rate, satisfaction ratings, starting salary, health and happiness of students.
- Responsible for the health of academic and cultural student pipeline from admissions through job placement.
- Understand what drives 5-star program reviews, strong academic results and successful job placement.
- Maintain accurate, deep, real-time data on how students are scoring across these dimensions, working with other members of the instruction team as required.
- Suss out the reasons behind student success issues / risks. Determine remedial solutions and create, rollout & manage associated action plans.
- Deliver (often difficult) feedback to students that improve outcomes and result in positive sentiment. Serve as support and safety net for instructional team and elevate issues appropriately.
- A strong leader & people person: Able to establish a strong presence in a group setting, facilitate conversation, manage several direct reports and exercise solid judgement. Must be able to draw the correct conclusions about student academic and emotional performance.
- An effective verbal communicator: Able to guide expectations, provide pushback for unreasonable requests in a ‘tough-but-fair’ manner, and guide student attitudes toward growth mindsets.
- An empathetic listener: Able to exercise active listening and guide students towards deeper understandings of their experiences.
- A versatile writer: Able to craft clear, succinct, tactful, effective and situationally appropriate writing styles (e.g. instructional emails, discussion followups, process documentation, etc.)
- A strong well-being & emotional support coach: Able to promote co-curricular student development of interpersonal and professional skills.
- Data-driven: Able to distinguish between intuition and hard data, to ultimately utilize data analysis to make and execute decisions. Utilizes a data-driven approach to problem solving, iteration, and improvement.
- Passionate about teaching: Excited by the prospect of helping our team educate the next generation of software engineers!
- Prior professional experience in roles such as teacher, facilitator, counselor, personal coach, personal trainer, etc., utilizing the above skills sets is a strong asset.
Benefits + Perks:
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Flexible Vacation + PTO policy
- 401k options
- Inspiring workplace and motivated colleagues
I'm interestedRefer a friend
Any experience level
Hack Reactor is a program for gifted students of software engineering. In three months, we transform ambitious amateurs to coding professionals.
Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment genuinely committed to employee health and wellness, and filled with talented, hard-working and fun people. You will be surrounded by friendly, brilliant, and mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
Hack Reactor is a part of the Reactor Core partner school network. Reactor Core's mission is to empower people through data-driven educational programs.