The Role: Senior Writer
We’re looking for an amazing Senior Writer to help with content research, creation, and editing for projects including, but not limited to, white papers, case studies, long-form blog posts, speeches, and more. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a variety of marketing and communications content in collaboration with the Content Manager, CMO, and the executive team. The Senior Writer will be an integral part of the growing Course Hero Marketing Team and will be essential in creating compelling content that informs, educates, and engages our audience of students, educators, edtech and influencers.
The Team: Marketing at Course Hero
Where Product creates "The Magic", Marketing seeks to "Know the User" (Student and Educator) "Connect the Two" and build "The Love". As marketers we are the voice of the user and seek to put the user ahead of all else. Happy, satisfied and engaged users invite their friends to use our platform and help us build a long lasting, emotionally charged brand. At its core, Course Hero is about "Empowering Heroes". We don't create Heroes but provide ordinary students and educators with the tools to do extraordinary things.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- In collaboration with the Content Manager, you’ll create engaging long-form blog posts and pitchable articles that inform and delight our audiences.
- You’ll research, create, and edit case studies and white papers relevant to the edtech space.
- You’ll conduct, write, and edit third-party interviews with hero influencers, students, and educators for blog posts, contributed articles, and video content.
- You’ll write and edit dynamite speeches for the Course Hero CEO and CMO for panels, conferences, and events.
- You’ll ghostwrite contributed thought pieces in collaboration with Course Hero’s Content Manager and executive leadership.
Are you our Star Senior Writer?
- You have a BA in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- You have 5-7+ years of experience as a journalist or writer covering higher ed. You’re passionate about education and technology and how the combination of the two can make the world a better place. Ideally, you’ve written extensively on the edtech industry or educational space.
- You have a mind for storytelling and know how to excite an audience. You’re always thinking about what will make a great headline and drive audience interest.
- You’re an exceptional researcher, writer, editor, and overall communicator. You enjoy sifting through data and putting together all the facts to create a great story.
- You use each word with masterful precision and have a keen appreciation of how language can bring out emotion in your readers.
- You live to create meaningful content that makes people think even if it invites a bit of controversy or might not always be popular.
- You appreciate the balance between creating great content and managing deadlines, and you enjoy the hustle and craziness of managing multiple projects at once.
- You’re highly self-motivated and love working independently, but you’re also keen on collaboration and invigorating brainstorming sessions. Additionally, you’re good at giving and receiving thoughtful feedback on projects and ideas.
- You have an MA in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field.
- You’ve worked on successful writing and research projects such as whitepapers and case studies for an educational and/or technology company.
- You have a great network of bloggers and media contacts who would be open to syndicating your work.
- You have an understanding and appreciation for how users consume content on mobile devices.
- You’re familiar with Wordpress.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, we’d like to see a portfolio or recent body of work that shows us what you’ve got! Please submit two writing samples that demonstrate your writing skills, creativity and storytelling abilities. If possible, we’d love to see those most relevant to our industry and/or the role description above.
What We Offer You:
- Industry competitive salary and stock options
- Full coverage (medical, dental, vision, and life)
- 401(k) program to help you save for the future
- Educational assistance program to support lifelong learning
- Commuter benefits, cell-phone allowance, and a free gym membership
- Regularly planned team outings and company events
- Free Monday and Friday lunches, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a revolutionary space
6 or more years
Course Hero is a fast-growing education technology company, building the world’s largest platform of crowd-sourced learning materials and making education more accessible. Technology is revolutionizing the way we learn, and we’re committed to helping our users share and access the great academic content that they need to master their classes. This includes anything from study guides, test prep, on-demand tutors, homework help, flashcards, videos, and more.
Our company culture is very open, flat, and collaborative. On our team, we’re problem solvers, we think like owners, and we embrace a growth mindset in our efforts to continually better our product. We’re growing fast, we’re profitable, and we’re looking for new team members to help us plot our course towards future success!
Course Hero has received a Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group for the second year in a row! You can also check out some recent news coverage, or learn more about our team.