Director of Media Relations
Summit Public Schools - Redwood City, CA - Full time
The Director of Media Relations will oversee the day-to-day media relations efforts, strategic media planning and crisis communications for Summit Basecamp. S/he directs all media relations for Summit Basecamp, including the dissemination of information and news to print and broadcast media sources, social media, web-based sources and the general public. The Director will build relationships with print, visual, and digital media, create media collateral, and launch media campaigns.
The Director of Media will play an integral role in our team’s ambitious recruitment goals of 1000 schools for 2017-2018. Media around Basecamp and the FB and Summit partnership will be a critical part of our recruitment strategy. As a result, this role is deeply collaborative and will work closely with the Senior Director of Recruitment and Marketing, the Head of Summit Basecamp, the Senior Director of Media from Summit’s Schools team and the Communications team from Facebook.
This position calls for a passionate and experienced professional with broad experience in media and public relations. This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their communication, project management, teamwork, and analytical skills to their passion for serving youth and education. We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy designed to elevate the amazing work of Summit Basecamp’ students, educators, parents, communities, and champions.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with a diverse set of media outlets and reporters, including national reporters and publications as well as reporters and publications in communities with many Summit Basecamp partner schools.
- Create a dynamic media calendar that is connected to Summit Basecamp’s goals and our larger Summit and Facebook partnership goals.
- Work in collaboration with our Facebook Comms team to develop and write press materials including news releases, media briefs, talking points, pitches and other public relations items to raise the visibility of Summit Basecamp.
- Use media relations to support the recruitment team’s goals of recruiting 1000 schools for 2017-2018.
- Build and support the capacity of Summit Basecamp partner schools to understand, and effectively respond to, media within their context and communities.
- Develop training and other on-demand resources for Summit Basecamp.
- Field incoming media inquiries and respond to media requests.
- When appropriate, serve as a media spokesperson on behalf Summit Public Schools and Summit Basecamp.
- Ensure all operational systems required to support media relations are maintained.
- Work collaboratively with Summit’s Director of Media Relations (schools team) and Facebook comm’s teams to meet organization and partnership goals and initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the Summit Basecamp team to support goals for recruitment, enrollment, onboarding and engagement.
Key Qualities and Skills:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- A track record of success in leading school(s) to high levels of performance
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders, teachers, staff members, and community members
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, assessments, and data-driven decision making
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, board members, parents, and students
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Strong analytic skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- A true passion for our organization's mission to equip all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in a media, public relations, journalism and/or communications. Experience in education or non-profits a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Exceptional news judgment, writing, and strategic planning are required
- Demonstrated success managing and executing earned media campaigns
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with good attention to detail
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data and explain the assessment in written reports
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Demonstrates empathy and ability to apply understanding of an audience to deliver desired products and/or services
- Demonstrates flexibility, tenacity, resourcefulness, humility, and a growth mindset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
3 or more years
Who we are:
Summit Basecamp is a free program that provides teachers and schools across the U.S. with the resources they need to bring personalized learning into the classroom. This year, Summit Public Schools is working closely with 24 grade level teams in 19 schools across the country. Through Summit’s support and resources, and Facebook’s engineering expertise, this community of partner schools is exploring personalized learning and is adapting it to meet the specific needs of their individual school communities. As part of Summit Basecamp, grade level teams are also using the Personalized Learning Plan (PLP) tool as the backbone to their student’s experience.
Starting in June of 2016, we will welcome over 100 schools for the second cohort of Basecamp! If you’re interested in learning more, visit summitbasecamp.org or read our mid-year progress report. And, check out this article about the district and charter collaboration fostered by Summit Basecamp!
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 10 schools serving over 2,400 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools atop 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post