The Product Manager is responsible for supporting the development and management of one or more product portfolios serving the public library market, working to maximize market share and revenue for Gale. This includes concept work, prototype development, supporting investment cases, and working in an Agile development team to build products that are focused on user engagement and success. Works closely with external partners, strategists, content developers and software development teams to define product specifications and ensure quality throughout the development cycle. The ideal candidate welcomes and contributes fresh ideas and has a passion for helping public libraries serve their communities. Additionally, a team culture is important at Gale: Idea-sharing sessions, innovation challenges, recognition circles, summer ballgames and picnics are all part of the experience!
- Accountability for Gale revenue plan and growth targets.
- Build, maintain, and execute upon product family roadmaps to continuously and iteratively maintain our product platforms and enhance our products.
- Work with Program Manager, Public/Consortia team, as well as external partners, software developers, strategists, content developers, marketing, and other departments to build online products and services and position them for the market.
- Work closely with UX Specialists and customers to test and reiterate prototypes and refine product concepts.
- Develop and define product specifications (information architecture, user interface, features, tools and content) in a platform-centric fashion so that components can be leveraged by multiple product families.
- Fulfills the role of Product Owner in regular standup meetings, iteration planning and iteration reviews during active software development projects.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and devises ongoing product improvements to increase online usage and revenue in response to usage metrics, customer feedback, competitive analysis and market research.
- Support the Sales Department by conducting in-person and online product training sessions for inside and field reps and by conducting customer webinars. As necessary, accompany sales reps and represent Gale at trade shows and conferences.
- Other responsibilities may include market research, developing product investment cases, P&L development and responsibility, pricing, tracking performance metrics, tracking competition, identifying new opportunities, conceptualizing and testing new ideas, recruiting and managing advisory boards.
- Other duties as assigned to meet business objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of progressive experience in product management, publishing, the library or information industry, sales, marketing, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated market knowledge and customer/end user focus.
- Proven ability to participate effectively and influence cross-functional teams without formal authority—including the management of external partnerships.
- Basic financial and budgeting skills to manage budgets and develop investment cases as input into product decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly master new skills.
- Proven excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as diplomacy in order articulate relevant information to both technical and non-technical audiences and senior management.
- Working knowledge of standard company software (MS Office, etc.).
- Experience defining product specifications and working with software development teams.
1 to 5 years
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.