Summit Public Schools: Communications Manager
Summit Public Schools is seeking a Communications Manager who will play an important role in telling Summit’s story, supporting internal and external communications and programs, and working with Summit schools and partners to ensure all children have the opportunity to succeed in college, career and life.
This would be an ideal position for an individual aiming to apply their communication, project management, teamwork, and analytical skills to their passion for serving youth and education. We are looking for a self-starter who isn't afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Who We Are
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 11 schools serving over 2,400 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children's lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you're excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools atop 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report's Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America's Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
The Communications Manager’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Communicating Summit Public Schools’ mission, values, personalized learning model and vision for public education in America to a diverse array of audiences.
- Supporting development and implementation of org-wide communications strategy.
- Developing content, key messages and and collateral to strengthen brand across range of stakeholder groups.
- Creating and managing Summit newsletters (internal and external), blogs and email blasts. This includes timely collection of content across school sites, writing articles, managing design and proofing.
- Creating press releases and pitching stories to reporters to secure media coverage.
- Sourcing and writing stakeholder stories that tell the story of Summit Public Schools - our values, our mission, our model etc.
- Providing project management for the organization’s calendar of both internal and external communications.
- Reporting and analyzing results of communications efforts for continuous improvement; develop monthly communications reports and updates.
- Managing the operational systems required to support and implement a high volume of outreach and engagement, including owning Summit’s CRM system, external distribution list and event registration and tracking systems.
- Ensuring that materials, data, photographic and video libraries, and historical information are maintained and available as a resource to all Summit faculty.
- Coordinating and managing vendor or contractor work, budget and timelines, ensuring timely completion of deliverables on-budget.
- Working collaboratively across all Summit teams to ensure all elements of organizational communication strategy are fulfilled.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A true passion for our organization's mission to equip all students with the skills necessary to succeed in college, career, in life.
- 2-3 years relevant experience in a communications role. Experience in education or non-profits a plus
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills with good attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and assess quantitative and qualitative data and explain the assessment in written reports.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrates empathy and ability to apply understanding of an audience to deliver desired products and/or services.
- Demonstrates flexibility, tenacity, resourcefulness, humility, and a growth mindset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
This position is based in the Bay Area and requires frequent travel throughout the Bay Area to our schools, and may require occasional travel to other regions.
The Communications Manager will report to the Director of Communications on Summit Public Schools’ Community team, and work closely with Summit school leaders and teachers as well as members of the community, information, operations, research and development, finance, technology, and academics teams.
less than 1 year
Enter some language to introduce people to what the organization is about. This will show up along with the posting.