2017-2018 New York City Educator at innovative lab school
AltSchool - New York, NY - Full time
The Education team is at the forefront of pioneering the AltSchool model. Our educators are the experts in our students’ learning, and they direct the personalization of what, where, when, and how they learn. AltSchool educators customize their own classroom’s curriculum, emphasizing both academic rigor and social emotional learning. Educators are also part of a network of professionals who provide regular support, feedback, and opportunities for collaboration. Building a 21st century Education team translates to the opportunity for year-round work, flexible time-off and modern technology to enhance and empower teaching and learning. We also rely on our educators’ critical input on the direction and development of AltSchool’s proprietary technology products.
Roles are available in both Manhattan (East Village and Union Square) and Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights: http://grnh.se/q5jx7n1).
- Lead a mixed-age and ability class along with your teaching team members:
- Design or customize experiential, project-based learning arcs for the class to create activities that are relevant and real-world
- Curate individual learning experiences based on each student’s abilities, needs, and learning approach to construct and exhibit core competencies
- Utilize dynamic instructional grouping to meet the needs of all learners
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning goals and ensure that they’re met
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Engage in bi-weekly coaching with a subset of your students to support student self-reflection and agency
- Lead an advisory group with curated activities throughout the school year
- Collect and use data to collaboratively identify goals, assess effectiveness, and promote organizational learning alongside colleagues
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to the network, including sharing materials, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Build and maintain positive, transparent partnerships with the school’s families by engaging with the community through frequent and rich communication
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to devise, participate in, and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, classroom tools and more
- Collaborate with our Personalization Leads to support all learners
- Prompt and regular attendance on all school and work days
- Prior experience with creating child-centered learning activities, including classroom teaching experience with K-8 students
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and/or incorporating social emotional learning into student experiences
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education
- Prior experience mentoring other educators
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Prior experience partnering with other school staff members
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Monthly fitness stipend
- Free lunch and snacks
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.
3 or more years
AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their full potential. We are a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, bringing together a unique partnership of educators, engineers and researchers to create a proprietary learning platform guided by the most comprehensive body of current educational research. AltSchool’s platform is designed to empower schools everywhere to offer personalized, whole-child learning for each student, and to enable teachers to truly understand each child—both deep and wide—so they can develop and deliver a personalized curriculum that helps each child thrive.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool currently operates a network of eight schools in California and New York, which serve as learning labs for ongoing research and development. Starting fall 2017, that network of schools will expand to include the first cohort of pilot partner schools using the AltSchool platform of products and services. We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, who are committed to help achieve the goal of making the best education, the most accessible.