College Success Software Developer
Noble Network of Charter Schools - Chicago, IL - Full time
As Noble has grown, we’ve continuously sought better ways to effectively meet our growing needs for supporting students as they apply to, matriculate to, persist in, and graduate from college. Over the past few years, we’ve developed nationally recognized tools and approaches for doing so and are recognized as a leader in finding data driven and sophisticated, yet individualized, approaches for supporting our students in becoming the first in their families to graduate from college.
The College Success Software Developer will help us take this work to the next level by expanding existing software tools to be more stable and scalable and by working with practitioners to develop new solutions to unserved needs. While most of this work will help Noble better serve our students and alumni, we expect to also be able to open source our tools to peer networks around the country, expanding the potential impact to tens of thousands of additional students like ours. The position reports to the Chief College Officer, an experienced engineer and the architect of the existing tools. Responsibilities include:
- Improve the existing software tools to make them scalable and shareable with other networks. These tools include:
- A student-facing college recommendation tool based upon predictions of admissions odds
- A set of student and counselor tools for helping students weigh all applicable factors in making their college choice
- A Salesforce-based system for supporting and tracking alumni in college
- An integration between Salesforce and Google Docs to help college students stay on a 4 year path to graduation
- Work with users to develop new solutions to existing challenges. Potential solutions may include:
- A system to manage knowledge of local resources for students at hundreds of colleges around the country
- An OCR system to interpret and record college transcript and/or student award letter information
- An “early warning” system to help alumni support counselors serve students at the most critical times
The ideal candidate will be service oriented, have a relentless curiosity, and possess a sense of humor. Candidates should have:
- A bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience working in a high functioning, fast-paced organization
- Experience working as a full-stack developer, ideally with some of that experience in Python (including Django or Flask)
- Belief in the power of testing to maintain reliable code; experience in Test-driven development is a plus
- A history of aggressively delivering measurable results and strong self-management
- A commitment to making a difference in the lives of underserved students as they attempt to graduate from college
The Noble Network of Charter Schools Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
1 to 10 years
Noble is Chicago’s highest-performing and largest network of public charter high schools. Noble opened in 1999 with the mission of preparing low income students with the scholarship, discipline, and honor necessary to succeed in college and lead exemplary lives, and to serve as a catalyst for education reform in Chicago. By making college a reality for our students, Noble is committed to changing the trajectory of the lives of our students and impacting their families for generations to come. Noble’s 18 campuses currently serve over 12,000 students, of whom 98% are minority, 87% are low-income, and 82% are first-generation college goers. One hundred percent of Noble students are accepted into college and over 90% choose to enroll, resulting in over 4,600 Noble alumni who have received or are currently pursuing a 4 year college degree.