Regional Director of Operations, Bay Area
Rocketship Education - San Jose, CA - Full time
Founded in 2006, Rocketship Education (www.rsed.org) is a California-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation whose mission is to eliminate the achievement gap by building a national school system of K-5 charter schools. Rocketship Education is the leading public school system for low-income elementary students. In pioneering its transformative public school model, Rocketship has delivered exceptional academic results through a focus on developing outstanding educators, empowering parents to advocate for their children and communities, and individualizing instruction for all students.
The Operations Team is charged with opening high performing schools quickly and growing them sustainably in order to accelerate transformative impact for students in the communities we serve. The Operations Team ensures high caliber, standardized operational approaches to support consistency in academic results across regions and schools.
The Director of Operations is responsible for ensuring operational excellence and consistency in their group of schools. They supervise a cohort of school-based Business Operations Managers (BOMs) and work closely with Principals and national staff to achieve this goal. They also contribute to the design and development of operational best practices that can be applied across the entire network of Rocketship schools.
The Director of Operations’ key responsibilities include:
Direct School Support
- Supervise a high performing cohort of BOMs and teams of school based operational staff to ensure seamless, efficient and high quality school operations across each portfolio of schools
- Partner with school Principals and network Business Team to uphold a high standard of excellence for school operations
- Provide meaningful evaluations of school operations and BOM performance related to compliance, budget, facilities and safety, operational systems, operational-instructional partnerships and parent engagement
- Provide consistent, high quality onsite feedback, coaching and support to all direct reports in order to grow and develop operational staff over time
- Serve as point of escalation for school-based operational issues
Network Leadership & Support
- Serve as a member of, and actively engage with and contribute to, the Operations Leadership Team
- Collaborate across the network to share best practices, create tools and templates and contribute to organization-wide initiatives and projects
- Interview and make hiring and placement decisions for Business Operations Managers and Operations Coordinators across the network
- Collaborate on the design, creation, selection and delivery of Leadership Development opportunities for direct reports and entire BOM Team
- Ensure excellence in operations through monthly evaluations of network-wide operations priorities, including identifying needs and providing solutions
Regional Leadership & Management
- Lead the strategy and execution of all regional business projects, including contracts, transportation solutions, vendor management, state and local authorizer audits and other reporting requirements
- Identify and manage new initiatives to meet the changing needs of our region and schools (e.g. transportation, co-location, etc.)
- Lead the strategy and planning for the operational requirements for new schools in the region
- Execute the operational requirements for the start-up of new schools
- A passion for Rocketship’s mission to eliminate the achievement gap and a belief that all students can achieve academic success
- 8+ years professional management experience including at least 3 years in school site Operations Leadership, preferably in a high performing charter management organization
- Exceptional people management skills, with direct experience supervising a team of at least five staff and proven ability to manage teams toward exceptional performance
- Hands-on management approach and track record of providing frequent real-time feedback, coaching and support to direct reports
- Proven propensity to roll-up sleeves and problem solve through operational and logistical challenges as needed
- Ability to forge strong partnerships and relationships with all levels of staff across organizations including school leaders, school based staff, national staff, and direct reports
- Strategic mindset with the ability to delegate and leverage resources wisely, prioritize and re-prioritize on an ongoing basis, and adapt these plans on an as-needed basis as crises and unexpected circumstances arise
- Exceptional organizational skills with proven systems for managing all aspects of professional life and ability to customize and craft relevant organizational strategies in multiple contexts
- Energizing and motivational personality with proven ability to inspire and engage others toward action
- Track record of engaging the appropriate stakeholders to collaborate around and inform decisions
- Outstanding ability to build and manage group culture and navigate complex group dynamics
- Ability to differentiate content expertise and experiences to address school-specific context and needs effectively
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403(b) retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and paid time off.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter addressed to the Rocketship Education Director of Operations Search Committee online at http://goo.gl/btGtjR. For additional questions or more information, feel free to contact Allison Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510.575.9635.
Rocketship Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
6 or more years
Rocketship Education is a network of public K through 5 charter schools dedicated to eliminating the achievement gap in our lifetime. Rocketship is more than a school system—it's a growing family of teachers, leaders, parents and communities, all dedicated to making a positive change for our future.